Stout Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homekegger1

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a stout using the following ingredients. Any advice is certainly welcomed.

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Stout
1 x 1.7kg Cascade chocolate mahoganey
500gm Dark DME
200gm chocchit grain steeped in coffee plunger for 15 mins
Wyeast 1098 - brit ale (Off the yeast cake from the porter I have just racked to secondary)
Made to 20lt

Cheers

HK

Is the Cascade chocolate mahoganey a Stout or 'Porter" kit?

Should be OK, but something tells me you might want to sit the pint for a few minutes, from the keg fridge, to let it warm a little to release some of the flavours.

My calcs came up to 1.062 for 20 L...and as most say.."Brew it, and tell the rest of us how it goes"

Good work on the calcs. It came out at 1.061. Bubbling away like a mad man in under 12 hrs too.

Cheers

HK

Looks tasty and at about 7.5%abv it'll be a winter warmer for sure!

Well I just had a quick check on my stout and not only has it been bubbling away like a madman, it has taken off. 8 ltrs of head space just wasn't enough to keep the krausen at bay. It has burst through my airlock and made a little mess ontop the fermenter. I guess there is always a first for everything. Obviously healthy yeast.

You're gonna' love the beer HK1.
I'm drinking a similar brew at the moment and loving it.

1 x tin Choc Mahogonay Porter
1kg Dark LME
250gm choc grain steeped for 20 mins.
US56 yeast.
1/2 handful of fuggles hops

My OG was 1060 and FG was 1018.

If you plan on racking the beer then you might want to consider the addition of some fuggles hops.
It really gave my beer a lift!
Even the wife likes it, worst luck!!!!

Latest posts

Back