Storing Excess Liquid Malt Extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I hope this is not a silly question.

With Morgan's moving their speciality liquid malts up in size from 1kg to 1.5kg cans, I note that in some cases brewers will be left with excess extract because their recipe only requires 500g to 1kg of extract.

My question is... is it possible (safe) to save the excess extract in a sterile/sanitised container? if yes, how long can it be kept for? and should it be kept in a fridge, or is room temp okay?.

Thank you in advance for any replies

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Cool and airtight would be my recommendation, it will last longer that way. Use it ASAP for best results.

Or increase other parts of the recipe to match and make a bigger batch of beer! Thay way everybody wins...

Or boil remainder with some water and freeze for a future starter...

I prefer to use dry extract when it comes to smaller amounts. eg: I recently had a recipe that called for 2kg LME, so I used 1x 1.5kg tin of LME & 500g of LDME. Splitting up a can of of LME is just too messy for my liking.

I have exactly this problem at the monent... Ordinarily I would just use dry malt, but for some reason my LHBS charges a farkin fortune for dry wheat malt extract, i.e. a 1.5kg can of morgans wheat malt (yes, I know it is 40% barley) is the same price as 500g dry wheat... I will probably reduce my volume to get the gravity I need, if I use 1.5kg malt extract my fermenter will be too small.

I keep my tins in the fridge until I need them anyway, so if splitting a can, I'd be sticking it in the fridge in a clean sealed container too.

But, I will just modify the recipe to suit so that I use full tins, and probably less DME

I have exactly this problem at the monent... Ordinarily I would just use dry malt, but for some reason my LHBS charges a farkin fortune for dry wheat malt extract, i.e. a 1.5kg can of morgans wheat malt (yes, I know it is 40% barley) is the same price as 500g dry wheat... I will probably reduce my volume to get the gravity I need, if I use 1.5kg malt extract my fermenter will be too small.

Isnt wheat DME also around 50/50 or thereabouts?

If it is, they can definately get f_____d !

I'm pretty sure that is the case.

The reason why they went to 1.5kg is that 1.5kg LME=1kg DME, thus making it interchangeable for the DME in a stock standard K&K recipe.

I'm pretty sure that is the case.

The reason why they went to 1.5kg is that 1.5kg LME=1kg DME, thus making it interchangeable for the DME in a stock standard K&K recipe.
LME is 80% solids, so 1.5kg LME = 1.2kg DME - I think this is correct - anyone else care to comment?

I thought it was 70% solids, so I think peas_and_corn is on the money.

LME is 80% solids, so 1.5kg LME = 1.2kg DME - I think this is correct - anyone else care to comment?

Yeah, I stand corrected, it is 1.2=1.5

Pounds of Pounds of Extract

Grain Liquid Dry

1.0 0.75 0.6

1.5 1.13 0.9

2.0 1.50 1.2

2.5 1.88 1.5

3.0 2.25 1.8

3.5 2.63 2.1

4.0 3.00 2.4

4.5 3.38 2.7

5.0 3.75 3.0