Storage after carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypl

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering after I carbonate the keg - do I have to keep the
keg in the fridge?

Or after I have finished carbonating the keg can I pull it out of the fridge
and store it in a cool dark place?

---------------------------------

I'm completely new at this but so far this is what I have done
-> Ingredients in fermenter (left it for about a week)
-> Drain it into second fermenter
-> Added finings and put it in fridge for 24 hours
-> Pushed beer through a filter and into a keg
-> Carbonated the keg over a couple of days

If you have any hints please let me know :)
Thanks

Hi mate,

You can store your carbed keg out of the fridge in a cool spot.
The CO2 will come out of solution when the keg warms up a bit, but as long as your keg is all properly sealed, it will remain in the vessel.
Give it a bit of time to re-absorb into the beer when you chill it down again.

Regarding your process....might need a bit of attention, what are you brewing?

Thanks heaps for the information.

My second attempt has been to try and brew a Stella type beer using Canadian Light can plus a bag of
hops and European Lager Yeast. I only put it into the fermenter yesterday.

My first attempt was a XXXX gold type. The first party keg was terrible. Way overcarbonated. The second party keg
turned out ok but we didn't like the taste.

-----------------------------------------
Sorry for the intro questions. I have just got into brewing because Dad and I are off on a fishing trip late June
and we have converted his old 40L Engel fridge to use those 9.5L party kegs

Thanks again
Paul

dude, always good to have another brewer on board but one has to ask the obvious, why on earth would you homebrew XXXX Gold, or any other XXXX variety!?? why not just buy it? cheap enough and not worth the effect of the brew for the meagre saving you may make.

do yourself a good old coopers pale ale, easy to get and tastes alright. great place to start your homebrewing.

have a great fishing trip with your old man!

Firstly larger is one of the trickier styles of beer to brew, to do it well you need time and the ability to control the temp of the ferment. Mine spend about a month in the fermenter at 11 c then 6 weeks at 1 c before I put it into bottles. As has been sugested start with an ale untill you can control the temp, not as fussy and quicker, you can get it into the keg within 2 weeks.

As to your question re carbonation it could be that kegging after only a week is too soon. If the yeast is not finished eating all the sugurs it will produce alcohol (good) and c02 (bad) inside the keg. Add this to the gas you add and you could over carbonate.

Other than that you have come to the right place to learn, I made terrible beer for years until i found this website.

Good luck

You can definitely simplify your brewing and get better results...
As suggested above, try a pale ale kit or something.
Ales yeasts ferment quicker and will be a bit more forgiving.

I'd forget about the secondary/filtering and focus on giving the yeast a bit more time to clear up the beer for you.
Keep reading and improving your process.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate it. I'll go to the shop today and get a pale ale kit and put it into the second fermenter.

Hi all,
I too am a newbie & I have a similar question but relating to bottles.
I have force carbed a keg with a summer beer (coopers mexican cerveza) but want to bottle the contents of the keg into non primed longnecks. (I don't feel like drinking this one in the colder weather as I have some nice darker beers ready & need room in the krgerator). I was once told by a guy who owned a commercial Homebrew production factory where I used to make my home brew, that once the beer out of a force carbed keg was bottled, the bottles needed to stay in re-fridgeration. I understand that bottled conditioned brews can sit on a dark shelf for some time without spoiling, but am not sure that if I bottle this batch from the keg and store them in a cupboard will they last as long as the bottle conditioned ones or will they need to be re-fridgerated like the guy said?
Sorry for the long winded question.

No CPBF just out of the tap. Do you think the bottles would oxidise? I have six kegs filled already - wifey will string me up by the short and curlies if I buy any more !

Back