Stone & Wood Draught Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It`s not a bottle conditioned beer, unfiltered yes. Unless some wild yeast slipped the pastuerisation process, buggered how you get a gusher.

Buy a lot of this stuff :beerbang: from the local Dan, never had an issue.

:rolleyes: Excuse me for being a doubting Thomas.
Bought a box this morning for an Anzac Day BBQ on Monday. Chilled a few down and guess what, unpourable. Not gushing from the bottle but soon as you pour nothing but foam. My box is a best before August/2011, the beer doesnt taste as fresh as it normally does. I spent $60 for this box that I have to drink from the bottle :angry: . On the upside I know the beer is heaps better than this and have sent off a message to the boys at S&W.

edit. the second one was no good either so i`ve rushed out and rescued the other 3x 6 packs and fridging them due to suspicion of bombs.
edit. i can just pour to a std pils glass with dupont like carbonation, pouring to a headmaster.......forget it.

Had a few bottles of the S&W Pacific Ale from a Vintage Cellars store in South Perth last weekend. No carb issues with the ones I had.

Actually, mine were highly carbed - I just didn't notice the first time as I'd already had a few by then. Certainly not unpourable though, just very bubbly.

I've found the Stone & Wood Pacific to be a bit carbonated from the bottle. I prefer the Stone & Wood lager in bottles, and Stone & Wood Draught as Draught.

I see the 2011 Stone Beer is going into production soon! Saying it may be different than the last two years. We'll see.

It`s not a bottle conditioned beer, unfiltered yes. Unless some wild yeast slipped the pastuerisation process, buggered how you get a gusher.

Buy a lot of this stuff :beerbang: from the local Dan, never had an issue. The only time I didnt like this beer was drinking at the Beach hotel in Byron and left my glass in the sun only for a couple of minutes, the whole schooner was giving off that sun-kissed not to be missed aroma.

According to the web site they dont filter or pasteurise the beer so that means it is bottle conditioned doesn't it. Most times I've had it it's been over carbed but i generally buy it from first choice so there you go. Richmond Central Bowls Club had it in bottles and it was the best experience ive had drinking it. much softer finer bubbles no soda water harshness and somehow tasted more passionfruit and less resinous.

According to the web site they dont filter or pasteurise the beer so that means it is bottle conditioned doesn't it.

Correct! I thought the beer was pastuerised to get into places like Dans etc. Which is a bummer because. One day you buy it, pours well, bewdiful galaxy aroma and taste. The next time you buy it pours terrible, gassy, galaxy being driven off by the co build up. Its a little disapointing for a beer to be voted #1 and then you take a hit n miss on what you get via the bottle o.
Hopefully Hargie will set us straight.

...Hi All, sorry for the slow response on this..i'm on holidays and under instructions from the family to stay away from beer/work stuff...

Anyway thanks for the heads up guys, as we can't address any issues if we don't know about them..cheers..
The Pacific ale is neither filtered nor pastuerised which adds an extra layer of complexity in getting this beer into bottles and then into peoples hands . However just because it is difficult is no excuse. We expect, as does anyone who buys it, to have the beer reach you in good shape.
Have spoken to the other guys and we are on the case and rest assured we are taking the matter very seriously...
Anytime somebody spends their hard earned on our product and it doesn't meet their expectations is of concern to us...we all take unsatisfactory S&W experiences personally (they are fortunately very few and far between)...this issue will be resolved, indeed, it may well have been already...
...Despite all the recent good news about our beer we remain a very small, very focused team and anytime a wake up call like this appears it only strengthens our resolve to stay on track and do what we love to do as best we can...there will inevitably be hiccups along the way, thats life but we are in this for the long haul and we are very gratefull for all the support ( and honest critiques ! ) on AHB...thanks guys...
Lastly just remember whatever beer you buy, where ever you buy it, be sure that beer is being/has been looked after, if not shop elsewhere....as with any natural product , fresh is best...

Cheers
Scott
S&W

Hi Scotty, just to add to the feedback, bought a 6pack from Lismore and found it over carbed as well. BTW, why don't you guys have a tent at Bluesfest. Went off last night.

It's funny this thread came up, I bought my first couple of bottles of Pacific Ale (first drop from Stone and Wood actually) yesterday. Mine expired 20th September 2011 and were at the higher end of carbonation but by no means over the top. Fantastic drop BTW.
Cheers, John.

Latest posts

Back