Stephen Method To Pull Taps Apart

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hence why I said to position the rotating part of the tap at 90 deg to on or off. The wear and tear occurs in a position that is transitional rather than at a point where the tap could be postioned for a time period, ie. on or off.

That's the position I use, because it's the easiest position for removing. They still leak regardless.

Kai said:
That's the position I use, because it's the easiest position for removing. They still leak regardless.
[post="108154"][/post]​
Speaking to Weizguy he uses a silicon spray to seal the taps.

I don't bother and have found that the wort generally seals the tap up and the amount lost is less than a teaspoon. As for the price of a tap versus the cost of a brew... I'll leave that for the mathematicians out there.

Steve

I was very enthused with Batz and Fingerlickin's suggestion of a 'Beneficial' Snap Tap and was going to race out on a search for one until I realised that I have my fermenter in a 100 can cooler. Could I trust myself to not drop an ice brick on top of the lever tap and lose an entire brew? No! Damn, like a boilover, it's going to happen sometime!

So thanks to all for the advice on how to dissassemble the normal taps. Looks like I needed it after all.

I actually was able to do it with my mangled hands using Stephen's way (though with a short wooden spoon). After several loud and unsuccessful attempts using the kitchen bench very early in the morning, I resorted to banging it against the carpeted floor. Worked first go and has done repeatedly since with no painful reverberations through the hand. Go the carpet!

Thanks all. :beer:

PP
The snap taps open when you lift the lever up. Dead easy to clean and operate. No leaking after 2 years of operation so far. Gets my vote.

The barrel taps pull apart easily with pliers gripped onto the handle. The barrel tap doesn't pull apart so easily when warm

Didn't realise that Beer bum! I thought they sort of squirted/flowed depending on how far you pressed them down and that they locked open when you lifted them up. Hope you're right as then I'll have an excuse to go and buy one! Cheers PP.

They open both ways, up and down :ph34r:

It's just that you can lock them open if lifted enough.

PZ.

Kai said:
I've never used a black barrel tap and probably never will; too hard to see at a glance if they're dirty inside or not.

If you take apart the white ones often enough the plastic rim that holds the two parts together starts getting damaged, causing leakage.
[post="108147"][/post]​

Agree about the black taps.

Since I've discovered the Bunnings source of white taps, I've only ever dismantled my taps once or twice. Once they either have a ridge built up or discolour from repeated soaking in iodophor, they're in the bin and replaced from my cache of fresh taps. imho, they are the best place for an infection to hide in a plastic fermenter, so they're the most often replaced item in my brewery.

I'm thinking more about the snap-taps tho. Would someone who owns one please be kind enough to post a pic of one in pieces?

EDIT: My 1337th post. I feel so 1337 :D

PostModern said:
I'm thinking more about the snap-taps tho. Would someone who owns one please be kind enough to post a pic of one in pieces?

Sorry about the crumby picture quality, but the camera I normally use is on holidays with its rightful owner so I had to use a keyring cam :(

tap.JPG

PZ.

Oh, and bear in mind that they dont have to be so thoroughly dismantled for cleaning, as once assembled only the silicone seal and tap body come in contact with your brew.

I just like pulling things to bits :D

PZ.

Here ya go PM

Better watch it.

Certain people will not be happy you are buying your taps at bunnings.

Thanks very much Fingerlickin_B and batz. Very much appreciate the shots. I'm definately going to look out for them and maybe give one a try. The others are so cheap, but being pretty green, I feel a very small tinge of guilt every time I bin one. These certainly do look very serviceable.

Anyone have a link to the best place to purchase the snap taps.?
at a decent price.

Back