Steeping Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_yiakamon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been reading previous topics on the matter and i am confusing myself with the information so if i set out some questions can you please tell me yes or no or advise me correctly.

1. Do specialty malts (ie carapills) need to be cracked regardless of steeping or mashing?

2. Does the water temperature need to be maintained for the 30 mins?

3. I went to bunnings imagining an esky would do the job but i noticed it stated on the bottom it is not suitable for hot liquid so ending up buying a 1.8L thermos flask. Was that really necessary or will a 2.5/4L esky do the job?

Thank you in advance

1. Do specialty malts (ie carapills) need to be cracked regardless of steeping or mashing?
Yep. You should probably be able to get this done wherever you buy them.

2. Does the water temperature need to be maintained for the 30 mins?
Sort of. A little fluctuation shouldn't hurt as long as you don't get too hot. Having said that, I have read that you can also steep them overnight in cold water instead. Never done this so can't recommend it.

3. I went to bunnings imagining an esky would do the job but i noticed it stated on the bottom it is not suitable for hot liquid so ending up buying a 1.8L thermos flask. Was that really necessary or will a 2.5/4L esky do the job?
I just do mine in a pot on the stove. Can't see why a pre-warmed thermos wouldn't do the trick but I would wonder about the volume - can't see it really being big enough. Maybe multiple runs will balance this out?

[EDIT: formatting]

all grain requires to be crushed/cracked/milled. regardless of steeping or mashing.

most people steep at a maintained heated temp. you can cold steep or slowly raise the water temp up to the desired temp then hold over a 30min period.

simple old pot will do the trick. throw it on the stove and give it a belt of heat every now and then. esky works fine. plenty of people brew in eskys.

Thanx for the quick response.

I intend on steeping at around 70 degrees.

I was concerned about the volume also as most people advise using at least 2L of water to steep but i didnt understand was why an esky states that it is not suitable for hot liquid. I thought everyone mashed in large eskys so pictured my steeping is just a much smaller version of that...

is 70 degree water not considered a hot liquid therefore im safe to use that?

Bum pretty well answered your q, but to expand slightly.
Yep. You should probably be able to get this done wherever you buy them.

As Bum said. If they're not cracked, then a rolling pin, mortar/pestle, etc will do it. It just needs to be cracked, not pounded to buggery. Crush quality becomes important when mashing base malt, is less important for steeping specs.

Sort of. A little fluctuation shouldn't hurt as long as you don't get too hot. Having said, I have read that you can also steep them overnight in cold water instead. Never done this so can't recommend it.

Yep...too hot is a problem, too cool isn't....all you are doing is disolving sugar from the grain, cos spec malts have already had the starch converted to sugar as part of the manufacturing process. So, with any attempt to disolve sugars, the colder it is, the longer it will take....but many (including myself) consider it best practice to try and maintain between 60-70C....purely because it gives you a practicle foundation for mashing, which may come later.

I just do mine in a pot on the stove. Can't see why a pre-warmed thermos wouldn't so the trick but I would wonder about the volume - can't see it really being big enough. Maybe multiple runs will balance this out?

Eskys are not a problem...many, many AG brewers use Eskys for mash tuns....so they get hotter temperatures, for much longer. For steeping, I used to use one of those tupperware jugs with the lid that has the pressure button....or a pot. Whatever, shouldn't really matter.

[EDIT: formatting]

Edit: Thylacine linked to an article that was written by a complete genius (who is also incredibly handsome)....I'd forgotten about that. I should read my own sig more often. :lol:

hahaha yeah i had read that article which explained everything on how to steep but the esky warning about hot liquid threw me which was why i asked about the equipment.

Anyhow off to swap the smallish thermos to get an esky and brew tonight.. thanks for the quick responses everyone!!

Esky should be fine. It's just food safe plastic and polystyrene insulation. My mash tun is a 26 L esk.

If I'm steeping a few hundred grams of speciality grains I just use the hot tap water. Mine comes out of the tap at about 65 degrees.

When I add the grain it comes down a bit, but in 30 minutes (with the lid on) with a bit of stiring and shaking and bashing it's some delicious sweet liquor. TASTE IT!

I wouldn't bother with anything insulated. JMHO ... :rolleyes:

Back