Steam Exchange Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
I just got back from shooting my food show around the Fleurieu Peninsula S.A. Stayed in Maclaren Vale for two nights and then in a little town called Goolwa which I wasnt too happy about until I found out that they had a micro brewery!! My initial thought was a little micro I hadnt heard much about in a little town no one has heard much about and therefore more likely than not beer that you probably wont want to know too much about! Well I am glad to say I was completely wrong. The brewery is in an old wharf right on the river. For all the info check out the website - http://www.steamexchange.com.au

I was completely and utterly impressed by the quality and taste of all the beers they brew - and yes I did try all the beers! They have their four main beers - Steam Ale, IPA, Dark Ale and Stout and they also had a wooded IPA, a Bock and a strong ale called Truffles which they refer to as their dessert beer - a 10% double-chocolate vanilla-bourbon porter.

Simon the Brewer and Gareth assistant brewer and Director showed myself, Mick the camera man and Pav the soundy around the brewhouse and shouted us a beer or two. It is a great location and a great Brew pub that is well worth the effort of driving down (from Adelaide or anywhere in fact) and staying over night at the Murphy's Inn motel - they have the Steam Ale on tap also. If you do drive down check for the opening hours as the brewery closes around 6pm but you can buy six packs to go and as I said the Murphy has the steam on tap which is where Mick, Pav and I went for a few too many more Steam Ales and the lamb shanks!

Be warned you will enjoy it!

Love those story's. 3 years ago i was in Mildura for work (when i still brewed K&K and was not aware of AHB), finished up around 2pm. Hit the local pub which had two people drinking at it. Bar lady was nice and i drank a pot and told her all about my kits and she mentioned there was a micro just around the corner.

Went up there and it was perfect. Got a tasting thing of all the beers then drank two pints of there ale. Went ouitside and proceded to ring the missus and slur at her that i have just found the holy grail.

Thanks Mercs, sounds great and your timing is great I was only just reading their website yesterday and wondering if anyone here had been there as it would be good to hear a first hand account of the place.

Thanks Mercs, sounds great and your timing is great I was only just reading their website yesterday and wondering if anyone here had been there as it would be good to hear a first hand account of the place.

Zoddy seeing your from Newcastle I hope you made the trip to Potters?! And what are you doing reading this post get in the car and drive top Goolwa - now!

Robw thanks for the link - I did a search on Steam Exchange Brewery before starting this post but that post didnt come up.

Mercs

Steamexchange - no space

Rob

Mmmm... Truffles... I may have to give that a go ;)

Zoddy seeing your from Newcastle I hope you made the trip to Potters?! And what are you doing reading this post get in the car and drive top Goolwa - now!
Unfortunately I did not make it due to having to work, but I have been there a number of times on seperate occassions - top location!
As for visiting Goolwa, I'm already struggling to convince my g/f that visiting many locations around Australia is not just as excuse for me to visit many different breweries :)

Im thinking you need to do a show on micro breweries Merc and spend some more time on AHB.Steam exchange is nothing new to a lot of people on this site but would definetly be worth a trip when down that part of the country.

Cheers
Big D

Wow, its seven days later already and Goolwa has just finished cleaning up the carnage left by Merc and his crew! :lol: :party:
He even made it into the local paper!
Seriously though, it was good to have a few beers with you guys and chew the fat a while over better ways to get the general public more enthused over hand crafted ales. I hope that mixed six pack made it home safe for your missus to sample. ;)
Cheers and hopefully we might see you next year at the AIBA awards.

On a more commercial note (ie total blatant plug), if you live in Goolwa North don't forget we are on tap (steam) at the Duke of Brunswick, tap (steam) and bottle (IPA) at The Colonist, and on bottle (steam) in the Edinburgh Cellars.

Cheers!

:D
Wow, its seven days later already and Goolwa has just finished cleaning up the carnage left by Merc and his crew!
He even made it into the local paper!
Seriously though, it was good to have a few beers with you guys and chew the fat a while over better ways to get the general public more enthused over hand crafted ales. I hope that mixed six pack made it home safe for your missus to sample. ;)
Cheers and hopefully we might see you next year at the AIBA awards.

On a more commercial note (ie total blatant plug), if you live in Goolwa North don't forget we are on tap (steam) at the Duke of Brunswick, tap (steam) and bottle (IPA) at The Colonist, and on bottle (steam) in the Edinburgh Cellars.

Cheers!

Aahhhmmm....the six pack was for the missus?? :unsure: you might need to send me another one

On a commercial note - go and drink Steam Exchange beer!

On a commercial note - go and drink Steam Exchange beer!

Did, back in April/May a fantastic spot and great beers.

Did you get to the Lobethal Bierhaus? visited there but was about a week before the opening :( Not Fleurieu but a great spot also, if not, there's another shoot and story Merc, lots of great food around the hills area too.

Love to peruse the stories about the steam exchange, yet to hear a bad word!

I had a little crew down there on Sunday afternoon, and my mate and I decided we would cure our hangovers with a schooner from every tap. After the Steam and the IPA we realized that there were TWO specialty beers on tap. Needless to say that by the time we got to the 10% Truffles our hangovers were long forgotten. A great afternoon had by all.

Been to the Steam Exchange several times now and I am always very impressed.

Try the Truffles!

Jeremy.

Spent another leisurely afternoon at the Steam Exchange yesterday.
As always, Gareth and Andrew were very welcoming.
The oak aged brown ale was bloody delish as was Santa's Wobbler (Porter). :icon_drunk:
Certainly recommend a visit to anyone who has yet to get to Goolwa.

C&B
TDA

Latest posts

Back