Steam Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just sitting in the garage and that's the temp it's at, Cortez. I think it'll still get there as I've read of lots of people using it at cooler temps. The sample was clean with no sulphur.

Its a pretty versatile yeast. Will ferment sluggishly and crank out OK albeit highly malty lagers at 12 degrees or can be pushed up to around 18 degrees for Cali Commons as tdh said.

I used to compromise and ferment at 14-15 degrees for my Steams. Must do another soon. Might book it on the to-do list. :icon_cheers:

Now one important point. From memory there's American Northern Brewer and Euro NB, the woody flavoured NB is American. Probably the right one to use.

Warren -

USA NB are the woody ones.

If you can get 'em, use 'em.

One of my all time faves.

tdh

Thought there was a distinct difference tdh... Used some Euro (German I think) NB in a Cali Common recently. While still really nice it was very much a different hop to the US counterpart.

I found the Euro version to be more herbal/minty. Not bad in its own way though. :)

Warren -

well thats thrown a cat amongst the pigeons....can't find American Northern Brewer from Gryphon or Craftbrewer.....if i can't source them what's a good alternative

Rook

well thats thrown a cat amongst the pigeons....can't find American Northern Brewer from Gryphon or Craftbrewer.....if i can't source them what's a good alternative

Rook

Grain and Grape.

Warren -

Rook

Pacific Gem :icon_drool2:

C&B
TDA

I have realised that I have the German Northern Brewer hops so my so called Steam Beer would not be to style :lol:

As stated earlier I am going to brew one using Pacific Gem flowers but I like the idea of the Amber malt in the recipe so Stuster, how did yours turn out?

C&B
TDA

I've just scored a load of US Northern Brewer from a brewery mate.

How much do you need?

tdh

Rook

Tasting good so far, TDA, but it's not quite ready yet (although I've drunk a couple of bottles to see how it's going :rolleyes: ). Might send one ANAWBS way and see how it goes, but I'm pretty happy with it anyway. Gives it a bit of dryness in there to balance the dark crystal. Just might do with a touch more hops. ;) Finished at 1016 so tdh was probably spot on with mashing a little cooler.

I've just scored a load of US Northern Brewer from a brewery mate.

How much do you need?

tdh

Is that question directed to me or the rook?

If it was to me I need enough for a 23 litre batch and a total of 40 IBU with hop additions at 60 and 15 mins. ;)
C&B
TDA

Anybody!

Tell me what your dinky brew program recommends you use.

tdh

Is that question directed to me or the rook?

If it was to me I need enough for a 23 litre batch and a total of 40 IBU with hop additions at 60 and 15 mins. ;)
C&B
TDA

Hey Mark, get double off him and you can send me some with the yeast....LOL

Rook

"Designing great beers" mentions using Cascade for late additions, contest-wise do you think thats a good idea or will most judges consider that "not to style"

"Designing great beers" mentions using Cascade for late additions, contest-wise do you think thats a good idea or will most judges consider that "not to style"

Well, according to the guidelines it's not supposed to be out of style because the guidelines say

American hops (usually Northern Brewer, rather than citrusy varieties)

but I think that it is very typical to use NB and really makes the beer a steam. If you go with Cascade, what really separates that from an APA? :)

Latest posts

Back