Starting Again - Properly this time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barge said:
I don't disagree and not having seen the fermenter I wouldn't make the call.

If it was full of gecko shit I wouldn't trust that I could get it clean to a level I would be happy with. I'm sure sodium perc followed by starsan would sort it but I would still be worried.
me too - no science on my part about not using. more the fear of what might lurk there. would i use it after above remarks?? still no. maybe i'm geckofaecalphobic.

Soak in caustic soda solution for a day, then a bleach solution....then maybe perc solution and star-san if you wont to go silly

Even if it was FULL of gecko shit it will be good to go.

Nothing would survive the first 2 if you used high concentration

If was kept dry and clean then even better

Just cause its old is no reason to throw it out

Do you think the OP really is going to start properly again? We're up to 23 posts of useful suggestions and he/she hasn't responded.... or maybe we're all just abnormally keen???? ☺

Matplat said:
Do you think the OP really is going to start properly again? We're up to 23 posts of useful suggestions and he/she hasn't responded.... or maybe we're all just abnormally keen???? ☺
Suck them into the vortex. We will fix this economy one grain bill at a time!

Cheers,
D80

Maybe the first few post scared him off.
Don't get me wrong I am not shitting on anyones advice and it is all valid, it's just that telling someone to read, study, learn, get a chemistry degree ect ect. This Is what scared me off from brewing a few years after I asked a simillar question to home brewers. I have only brewed for 10 months now and I did jump into all grain. I read what I needed to and went to Craft Brewer for a recipe, ingredients and advice. This site was a valuable recourse but I get lost most of the time when it comes to the chemistry of beer making and only know after 20+ brews down and starting to understand it. Can you make 2 a cup of tea? Can you bake a cake by following a recipe? If yes then you can brew all grain it does not need to be complicated
I had never fermented anything until I made my first grain brew and it was a good beer.
1. Sort out what system you want to brew on.
2. Get a Fermentation fridge with temp control
3. Get Brewing software free or otherwise
4. Ask questions along the way and learn as you go
5. Go nuts and brew cracking beers by following recipes on this site.

Matplat said:
haha They haven't even made a second post. Is it a bot? :lol: Still good information shared is all good.

You make an interesting point Danscraftbeer what if the post was a survey of home brewers to see how much accurate information there
was in this forum . I've thought for a while now that some posts could be from employees of the two big players(who soon will
become 1 BIG player) given we're talking about a 15 billion dollar share of the market and craft beer is a growing threat ,
disinformation is a cheap tool.

Back