Starter Period

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloth

Reaction score
Hey all,

Put down a 2.5L (250g DME) starter to grow (to make splitters with) my vial of WLP001 on saturday night. It has been fermenting away at 20-21 deg C and has a nice krausen head on top. But my problem is, the head aint falling back in yet. All other starters I have made have been done in 36 hrs.

The vial has a best before date of July '06 so I suspect that this could be the reason for the slow ferment.
I've not used this yeast before so can somebody confirm the reasons for a slow ferment?

Cheers, Sloth.

There's nothing for me to get worried about, based on what you've written - are you saying that you've had quicker ferments with WLP001 starters in the past?
I'd make sure that you don't seal up an actively fermenting starter anyway, since they'll make great bottle bombs! How long was the lag time between pitching and krausen rising??

TL

Soerry TL, I meant I've had quicker starters with other yeast types such as WLP005. I haven't actually used WLP001 before.

Lag time was about 4-5 hrs.

I was just a bit uncertain as other starters have fermented out much quicker than this.

Cheers, Sloth.

Back