Starter Ok To Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WitWonder

Reaction score
I made a 1L starter using a Wyeast (3944 Wit) activator pack (dated March I think) on Tuesday. It took probably 48hrs before there was any activity in the airlock and there was never much (if any) krausen on top. At the most active point it was bubbling about once per 30 seconds. I shook the bottle last night to try and introduce some oxygen and now this morning there is no airlock activty at all. It probably did get a little cool in the room it's in overnight which may have slowed it down.

I was wanting to use this today however I'm not so sure it's viable. Should I have used a bigger starter given I used an Activator pack?

My experience with 3944 is that it's fairly quick to start (which you may have missed in your starter activity?) and then takes ages to finish out. My most recent wit took around 10 days to move from SG to 1.020 then a full 6 weeks to drop 1.020 to finish at 1.006.

It should be viable if dated March 08. Did the pack swell before pitching to starter? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I would use it. Worst case, if it doesn't fire off in 3-4 days, you could start and pitch another.

I had started my 3944 in 1L 1.040 and stepped another 1L a few days later, using it 1 week after first start. all ferm controlled at 19C.

reVox

Sounds like it kicked off OK. What temp has it been sitting at ? It will have slowed right down if it got much below 16C. How strong was your starter ? If there wasn't a lot of sugar there the yeast probably hasn't multiplied much, should kick off OK in the main brew. If you're really doubtful of it, you could also taste some of it, to see how yeasty it is. Any sediment collecting on the bottom of the flask ?
I've only used this yeast once before and loved it, I'd be fighting hard to keep it alive.

Mika I'm not sure re temp. I've had it sitting in my study where there are a couple of computers on 24/7 plus I sat it on top of my cable modem which gives off a bit of heat. Ambient temp in the room was about 15 degrees this morning however.
Anyways I've pitched it so we'll see how it goes. The wort was probably a bit warm still but hey... Apart from the Brewer's assistant putting some rusty, greasy chain in the beer from the chain block :eek: it should hopefully taste ok.

Sounds like the starter is fine to me. Not so sure about the chain though.

Don't bother listening to Kai...he brews crap beer anyway
A bit of chain grease would work in nicely with a Weizen, I'm almost sure I saw it mentioned in the BJCP guidelines

:p

PS. 15C is probably pushing it for a starter. Whitelabs build up their yeast at closer to 30C though they freely admit, that's to make yeast, not decent beer.

It'll be fine ... but next time give it lots of shakes whenever you walk past, not just one to wake it up.

Hmm 12 hours later and no airlock activity... come on damn you!! :unsure: This is the first time I've used this yeast and liquid yeasts from a starter so not sure what to expect.

Braufrau I have difficulties doing that because I use a 2L coke bottle with an airlock on it. Apart from changing to a normal lid to do it (which is what I did) which means opening it and increasing risks of infection I generally have to leave it to its own devices.

Just a bit of clarification is in order:
mika said, "If there wasn't a lot of sugar there the yeast probably hasn't multiplied much"

I'm sure he meant fermentable sugars, not actual sugar in a starter. Sugar has no nutrient to feed the yeast and allow reproduction. You'll want to use dried malt extract (or liquid or unfermented wort). A dash of Wyeast yeast nutrient is good, too :)

I might suggest using a 5L glass demijohn ($10) for starters. You can bung it with a meter long hose submerged in your (diluted) sanitiser of choice. That way, you can pickup the demijohn and give it a good swirl every now and again, without fear of losing airlock and without your actual airlock water falling into the starter. Depending on the volume of starter, you might be able to give it a bit of a shake too, if that's your thing.

Give it 3 days before going Plan B, whatever that may be.

reVox

For todays brew ...

starter.jpg

Back