Starch Alcohol Potential

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUANNE

no chiller and botulism free since 2010
Reaction score
hi all ,
the other day i tryed to do my first sour mash and put simply i fucked up royaly. situation so far is that i mashed my grist for a berlinner at 35c BEFORE my sach rest.thought id read enough but obviosly did not. needless to say the next day when i tried to do a sach rest i got no conversion due to the ph so low. i did another mash and got full conversion and poured the original mash in hoping for some conversion but judging by the cloudines of the wort i think it still did bugger all. i boiled the resulting wort till it hit my normal finishing volume and hopped at 15 mins to about 6 ibu. now what im planning to do is use it as an experimental brew and put it into several 5 litre carboys with various strains of brett and bugs. but while i know the bugs will eat the starch and the brett is a possibility for it i have no idea what sort of alcohol this will result in or how to test for it. for the record i will be using brett b in one carboy, roselare in another and a starter i bred up from a bottle of consecration in one as well.the fourth carboy i might just ferment with o5 as a control.i have no idea on sg atm untill i open the cube but am expecting 1036 or so. any thoughts or opinions on this endeaver will be greatly apreciated.

no thoughts, comments or opinions ? not even a shitstir for my mistake?

yeah sorry, but I've read the first post twice and I'm still trying to work out what your question is.

[Edit] Just reading a bit about brett and its ability to convert starch - wild stuff. Also can't see why you wouldn't just use your OG/FG to determine final alcohol content.

Sounds like a hell of an experiment though! :D

the main question is wether anyone knows what sort of alcohol i can expect from the starch portion of the brew. im thinking that when poeple do a turbid mash its to get some starch for the bugs, so there must be a way of calculating a final abv for it. i guess ill find out in 12+ months if the beer is 4 or more percent from the drinking of it. I guess the other question would be with half or so of the fermentables being bug only food does any one think it will be a nice beer or just mouth shatteringly sour?

just an update if anyone is interested, i opened the cube last nite and the gravity was 1060 and passed an iodine test so i must have got some good conversion after adding the two mashes together.i have 5 lires on roselare, 5 litres going mental on brett c ( wich is going so hard ive had to clean the airlock three times already, and have it in the sink to minimise any cross contamination threat), and the remaining 10 litres has 2 tins of blueberrys from woolys and i watered down to 1050 and is now fermenting on uso5.
so i wont need to worry about the starch factor but will have some interesting beers in the end anyway.

Latest posts

Back