Stalled Ferment For An All Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightLager

Reaction score
Hi All,

My first all malt... a kits and bits brew...

Black Rock IPA Kit + 1kg LDME + 20g Cascade on 20 boil.

20/02 1040
27/02 1014
04/03 1014
06/03 1014

It tastes like beer and should be good after conditioning.

I was thinking that it might have a lower FG, but I am not sure as the LDME does not have as much sugar.

Have I brewed a mid-strength?

Any help would be appreciated....

Cheers,

LL

Hi All,

20/02 1040
27/02 1014
04/03 1014
06/03 1014

I was thinking that it might have a lower FG, but I am not sure as the LDME does not have as much sugar.

Cheers,

LL

LOL I am drinking the last bottle of a kits and bit east rock I did before xmas.

1040 to 1014 in 3 days sounds like a pretty furious ferment but I guess you were using the kit yeast which can race like no tomorrow.

Ok beersmith tells me your at least 3.5% AVB so yes you have a mid strength. And it tells me with your recipe your gone as far as she gunna go with those fermentables. Your problem will be the amount of LDME or rather not enough LDME to feed your yeasties so that they attenuate out to the ABV. LDME doesn't have as much fermentables as a say BE2. Which has some simple sugars like corn sugar. I'm bit shot ATM but I would suggest your beers done all its gunna do ATM. Rack it and bottle it and enjoy it.

It will still be a good beer!

Hi All,

20/02 1040
27/02 1014
04/03 1014
06/03 1014

Cheers,

LL
That attenuation is a bit weak. I would have thought 1010-1012 to be more likely, but that depends on the yeast, as well...1014 certainly isn't out of the realms of probable.
You didn't mention the yeast type or the temp....you could try racking it, and increasing temp to 20-21C for another couple of days to see if it shifts. If it remains stable after doing that, she's all done.

Ok beersmith tells me your at least 3.5% AVB so yes you have a mid strength. And it tells me with your recipe your gone as far as she gunna go with those fermentables. Your problem will be the amount of LDME or rather not enough LDME to feed your yeasties so that they attenuate out to the ABV. LDME doesn't have as much fermentables as a say BE2. Which has some simple sugars like corn sugar. I'm bit shot ATM but I would suggest your beers done all its gunna do ATM. Rack it and bottle it and enjoy it.

Cheers Chappo,

I used US-05 for this one. On butters advise I did the all malt. I did not really think about the amount of sugar for the yeast I was putting in, until I was posting my question. Either way, I think I will be happy with the result.

That attenuation is a bit weak. I would have thought 1010-1012 to be more likely, but that depends on the yeast, as well...1014 certainly isn't out of the realms of probable.
You didn't mention the yeast type or the temp....you could try racking it, and increasing temp to 20-21C for another couple of days to see if it shifts. If it remains stable after doing that, she's all done.

Hi Butters!

Too quick for me, I was still replying to Chappo.

US-05 was the yeast, and pitched at 23C and then into the fridge at 18C. I have taken it out of the fridge over night to see if it will move. I guess I will see what happens.

Cheers mate,

LL

Butters advice is solid there rack to secondary thingamy if ya have one. It might kick a few more gravs as Mr B has said. BTW S05 great yeast first time you've used it?

Cheers Chappo,

I used US-05 for this one. On butters advise I did the all malt. I did not really think about the amount of sugar for the yeast I was putting in, until I was posting my question. Either way, I think I will be happy with the result.

US05 should have chomped that down to 1010. Even taking into account that it is all malt. ;)
Rack it, and raise to 20...
edit: everytime anyone goes to reply, another reply goes up whislt theyre typing.... :p

If you can't rack it, give it a gentle swirl to rouse the yeast and knock out some of the co2.

US05 should have chomped that down to 1010. Even taking into account that it is all malt. ;)
Rack it, and raise to 20...

Cheers, will do.

I will rack it tomorrow. I do not have the equipment, but this is the perfect excuse.... :party:

Butters advice is solid there rack to secondary thingamy if ya have one. It might kick a few more gravs as Mr B has said. BTW S05 great yeast first time you've used it?

This is the fourth time I have used US-05. My first 3 brews were on kit yeast.

For my next one, I am looking at US-04...

OT: S04 awesome yeastie what are you planning to brew?

Yeh, sorry I should have said.

Doing the Beermakers Old 1.7kg with a can of Morgan's Dark Malt Extract 1.5Kg.

Looking for a sweeter beer, planning on this being an All Malt with no extra hopping except what the can brings. Although after this experience I might add some extra dextrose to get the ABV up.

Gotta love the Old..... :super:

Gotta love an old! I still have 3 or so K&K bottles left think I might make beer battered fish with 'em :icon_drool2:

With 1.5kg of LME you should be on the money BTW. OR you could go the good old two can? :super:

Gotta love an old! I still have 3 or so K&K bottles left think I might make beer battered fish with 'em :icon_drool2:

I had a few Sparkling Ales the other day, went great with the baked barra.

(Should we move this thread to Brew Foods?) LOL! :D

Latest posts

Back