Stale Grain. Should I Still Use It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarmBeer

Unhappy camper
Reaction score
So, about 3 months ago I bought a bunch of specialty grains, planning to do a Kits'n'Bits Porter using a Cascade base with some DME, 250g Choc grains, and some Roasted Barley.

As sometimes happens, life gets busy, and silly me forgot all about the grains.

Now, I've read that crushed grains will go stale within a couple of weeks, so if I were to plan on making my porter this weekend, would it be alright (although less than "perfect") to still steep the grains, or should I just go buy some more?

Will the fact thay are strong tasting grains, rather than light malts, cover up any of the "stale" characteristics?

They have been stored in a cool, dark place, in an airproof container, if that makes any difference.

Cheers in advance,

Brett

Smell & taste them. If you detect any staleness, turf them. I bet, however, that they're just fine. I have some specialty grains that I've had in my possession for almost 4 years now (who knows how long the store had them) and they're still fine. As you've mentioned, cool & dry storage is the key.

If you detect any mousiness - like a mouse or hamster cage - get rid of them.

Okay, sounds like a plan. First Porter coming up.

Anybody got advice on brewing temperatures / times for a porter, or just go the usual 20 deg for 2 weeks?

If you detect any mousiness - like a mouse or hamster cage - get rid of them.

No hamsters in Australia. As a little kid in the UK I had three hamsters, Whiskers 1 Whiskers 2 and Whiskers 3. Incredible intelligent little animals. Definitely noxious animals in Australia but I know what you mean about that mouse piss smell. It's a charactersitic of Brisbane XXXX on tap :rolleyes:

On topic: I got back into brewing in June and my first order from Ross included a kilo of Milled Crystal dark, a month ago I used the last of it in my Yorkshire bitter and it turned out just fine. As far as I am concerned provided you keep them sealed and in the fridge, specalty grains last as long as hops and other ingredients.

Latest posts

Back