Stainless Steel Fittings Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
I have been chasing quotes for a basic setup for the following setup for my kettle all 1/2" ID:
1 x 3 piece stainless 2 way ball valve, female BPC both sides
1 x Small amount of parallel BPC threaded tube
1 x Male BPC > hose tail
2 x lock nuts
1 x Female BPC > Compression fitting

I have had some very helpful responses from a few places and I have tried to minimise wasting time with a piddly order, but there are a couple of things that absolutely baffle me.

Why does no one know what I am talking about when I ask for a small length of tubing with BPC thread along the entire length? After minutes of attempting to describe this item, more than one person has repeated back to me basically exactly what I had just described. "oh, so you mean a piece of tube with BPC thread along the entire length? Yeah, we have those..."

Is there any alternative to a SS compression fitting that seemingly costs about $50? The brass ones cost peanuts. Does anyone know if these come in hard copper? I am trying to minimise the amount of different metals and was planning on a copper pickup tube.

Am I missing something, or using terms that I shouldn't?

Whats BPC? :)

Any reason you're not just using normal BST or NPT threaded fittings?

In my experience the compression fittings are expensive. I'm pretty sure the reason behind this is they are designed/manufactured to operate in high pressure applications. The fittings I've seen are of a much higher quality than their brass counterparts which tend to ding/scratch easily.

I had the same problem sourcing a length of BST threaded tube. GMK on the forums sorted it out for me though.

It's also worth seeing whether the company you're using sells pre-made bulkhead fittings.

I meant BSP (I guess same as BST) and I did use "BSP" when speaking to suppliers.

Ok, so I am not an alien with three heads.

Try asking for 1/2" all thread.

For the very reason that compression fittings cost a fortune, I've decided to bypass the issue altogether and drain directly from the bottom of the vessels, with false bottoms sitting over the top of them in the MLT and kettle. Just a nipple, elbow, nut and silicone washer, no pickup tubes needed. I don't even think I'll bother with allthread to extend the taps past the edge of the vessels, just make up stands to hold them 8in or so off the bench and reach under to open taps. This only works because I'm going all-electric, you couldn't rig it so a burner goes around it.

The only other solution I can think of that gets you a pickup tube without paying for compression fittings is to have the tube welded to the end of a nipple.

Geordi SS

Give these guys a go I got all my gear from them when I was setting up my all grain rig good service and fast posting. Only thing is I think that they do have a $100 min for orders but but the looks of it you should come close

No affiliation just used them in the past

Cheers guys.

M&S Stainless in Seven Hills have everything I need at appropriate prices, and have the threaded pipe in a 150mm length.
I just can't get past $50 for a compression fitting, even if they'd keep an aircraft flying.

For anyone interested TS Valves have no stock, but they price a 1/2" SS 3 piece 2 way ball valve @ $20.00ea - 2 to 3 months wait.

I just purchased a bunch of valves and fittings from Hylok Australia - about 1/3 the price of equivalent Parker/Swagelok. You can buy the SS 110 series (1000psi) valves with tubing ends (saving you having to buy a SS valve, then two sets of compression fittings) for a very reasonable price - around the same you'd pay for a SS valve with threaded ends.

Plus - by buying valves with tubing ends - you end up with much less space inside the valve for crud to build up in.

Does anyone know where a good/cheap place to buy stainless sanitary flanges and clamps suitable for welding to tubing?

Thanks
Shannon.

Only place that I can see does sanitary fittings is Mash Master. Would love to know if there is a wider range though.
Cheers
Scott.

Chrome on brass compression fittings from Tradelink are cheap enough, well below the cost of S/steel

Try a marine supply store thats where I got a stainless ball valve for my rig. Greg Not that cheep though

Latest posts

Back