Squires Brewpub Melbourne Docklands

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muckanic

Reaction score
Got myself down there last night for the first time. A few interesting draught brews that don't appear in bottle, and seeing as there doesn't seem to have been much previous chat, here goes:

1. Highwayman's Red. Unusual because it is chockas with hop aroma. Goldings I think, although food had arrived by that time.

2. Australia wheat ale. Completely and utterly bizarre. Tart, but in an acetic way. Not especially well integrated, so I assume relatively young. So the obvious questions are do they use a Flanders red strain, have they simply added a small amount of vinegar, or was it an infection that managed to remain subtle? I understand the acetic yeast strains take quite a while to develop sourness, and personally I have never experienced an acetic infection (and IMHO it is probably a lot less common than is sometimes suggested). Hhmmm ...

3. Irish craic. A lovely, soft stout. Nitrogen perhaps?

2. Australia wheat ale. Completely and utterly bizarre. Tart, but in an acetic way. Not especially well integrated, so I assume relatively young. So the obvious questions are do they use a Flanders red strain, have they simply added a small amount of vinegar, or was it an infection that managed to remain subtle? I understand the acetic yeast strains take quite a while to develop sourness, and personally I have never experienced an acetic infection (and IMHO it is probably a lot less common than is sometimes suggested). Hhmmm ...

I'd say its an incorporation of either raw wheat and/or belgian wit yeast. (From when i had it a fortnight ago.)

Got myself down there last night for the first time. A few interesting draught brews that don't appear in bottle, and seeing as there doesn't seem to have been much previous chat, here goes:

1. Highwayman's Red. Unusual because it is chockas with hop aroma. Goldings I think, although food had arrived by that time.

3. Irish craic. A lovely, soft stout. Nitrogen perhaps?

I do quite like the highwayman.

However there was one beer they sold last time I was in, had a nautical type name (may have been waterfront, but don't remember it being a wheat), it did actually taste like water from the sea, was pretty poor IMO.

I do quite like the highwayman.
However there was one beer they sold last time I was in, had a nautical type name (may have been waterfront, but don't remember it being a wheat), it did actually taste like water from the sea, was pretty poor IMO.

Highway man is awesome, always the 1st thing i buy if its on tap. Waterfront :icon_vomit: I think everyone has that analogy for it. hahaha!

Love the Highwayman.

Pretty sure it has a good hit of Nelson Sauvin in there too.

I'm so jealous of all your pricks with your Squire brewpubs. Melbourne, Sydney, Perth. Won't someone think of the Brisbane :-(

Love the Highwayman.

Pretty sure it has a good hit of Nelson Sauvin in there too.

So has anyone got a good clone recipe for an AG highwayman ? Would have to be worth a try

So has anyone got a good clone recipe for an AG highwayman ? Would have to be worth a try

I do this which tastes kinda similar (in no way do I claim this to be a direct clone):

--------------------------
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Boil Size: 25.44 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 26.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.23 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (5.Grain 86.28 %
0.67 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 13.72 %
5.25 gm Northern Brewer [9.10 %] (60 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
15.76 gm Fuggles [5.70 %] (20 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
21.01 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20 %] (15 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
21.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 4.90 kg
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Step Add 15.00 L of water at 71.7 C 66.0 C

I haven't done this one for some time and from memory thought I should lower the crystal next time and maybe add some munich.

cliffo

Latest posts

Back