Squire Golden Ale Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for the AG version, smurtos recipe says 31IBU for an OG of 1047...so multiply your OGx0.66 to give ibu required, to check the balance. 25IBU would be right for 1038, but thats pretty low....I've gone down to 1044, but don't know if I'd go much lower, personally.

for the AG version, smurtos recipe says 31IBU for an OG of 1047...so multiply your OGx0.66 to give ibu required, to check the balance. 25IBU would be right for 1038, but thats pretty low....I've gone down to 1044, but don't know if I'd go much lower, personally.

Not sure I understand. If I up the hops from 25 to 33g for the 50min this will give me 31 IBU. Is this the right thing to do ??

It depends on what your OG is going to be, Mantis. The higher the gravity, the more residual sweetness in the beer, so the higher the hops need to be to keep the same relative bitterness. so 25IBU in an OG of 1038 will have the same relative bitterness (roughly) as 31IBU in a beer with OG 1047. SO if you scale the gravity down (or up) on a beer, you need to scale the IBU up as well.

Whats your OG actually work out to?

It depends on what your OG is going to be, Mantis. The higher the gravity, the more residual sweetness in the beer, so the higher the hops need to be to keep the same relative bitterness. so 25IBU in an OG of 1038 will have the same relative bitterness (roughly) as 31IBU in a beer with OG 1047. SO if you scale the gravity down (or up) on a beer, you need to scale the IBU up as well.

Whats your OG actually work out to?

I think I understand now
This is my first try with Beersmith

Yeah, up it to 31 IBU then. It's close enough to the original. The scaling I was talking about is the BU:GU ratio. It's imprecise at best, but its a starting point. 25IBU in a 1049 would be too sweet.

Edit: 25 IBU in an all malt 1049 would bee too sweet.

Yeah, up it to 31 IBU then. It's close enough to the original. The scaling I was talking about is the BU:GU ratio. It's imprecise at best, but its a starting point. 25IBU in a 1049 would be too sweet.

Edit: 25 IBU in an all malt 1049 would bee too sweet.

Thanks Butters, I am slowly getting the hang of all this :)

No worries mate. If you want a further read in more detail, theres a good article here about reletive balance.

Ok Tasted it at two weeks in bottled primed with dextrose,

very nice actually

ok a little over 4 weeks, had a couple of stubbies. I'm Trying to ascertain if there is something wroong with this brew or its the hop flavour im not used to.

the flavour is very bitter according to my palate, although the more i drink the less i taste the bitter/sour almost flavour

am i losing it or is this normal for amarillo hops?

evern if anyone on the forum is from Newcastle/Charlestown area and is experienced ill provide them with a longneck to test and see what they think

ok a little over 4 weeks, had a couple of stubbies. I'm Trying to ascertain if there is something wroong with this brew or its the hop flavour im not used to.

the flavour is very bitter according to my palate, although the more i drink the less i taste the bitter/sour almost flavour

am i losing it or is this normal for amarillo hops?

evern if anyone on the forum is from Newcastle/Charlestown area and is experienced ill provide them with a longneck to test and see what they think

Did you use the standard hop additions?

I brewed one recently and found it a bit tame for my palate, but I normally have 60-70 IBU APA's, but definately thought this one was a right quaffer!

Did you use the standard hop additions?

I brewed one recently and found it a bit tame for my palate, but I normally have 60-70 IBU APA's, but definately thought this one was a right quaffer!

used
25g Amarillo hop tea bag in cup of boiling water for 10mins then poured into fermenter

used
25g Amarillo hop tea bag in cup of boiling water for 10mins then poured into fermenter

Is that all? What kit did you use with it? What was your recipe? If you only steeped the hops you shouldnt have got much bitterness out of them, so that wouldnt be the contributing factor... Maybe the kit you used was quite bitter in itself?

Edit : Just to put it in perspective, mine was like this...

3kg Pilsner
1kg Golden Promise
800g Wheat
800g Munich
250g CaraMunich

60 : 20g Amarillo
10 : 15g Amarillo
5 : 15g Amarillo
Dry Hop : 15g Amarillo

Is that all? What kit did you use with it? What was your recipe? If you only steeped the hops you shouldnt have got much bitterness out of them, so that wouldnt be the contributing factor... Maybe the kit you used was quite bitter in itself?

Edit : Just to put it in perspective, mine was like this...

3kg Pilsner
1kg Golden Promise
800g Wheat
800g Munich
250g CaraMunich

60 : 20g Amarillo
10 : 15g Amarillo
5 : 15g Amarillo
Dry Hop : 15g Amarillo

sorry mate

1 can Coopers Sparkling Ale
1kg LHBS Brew Booster

sorry mate

1 can Coopers Sparkling Ale
1kg LHBS Brew Booster

All cool...

So my next question, did you boil the hops for 10 mins? or just steep them in the boiling water?

If you steeped them, you shouldnt have got any bitterness out of the hops, well, at least not much, more a bit of flavour and aroma... So if its too bitter for you, I would put it down to either the can, or whatever's in the brew booster...

Did the brew booster have green flakes in it?

cheers for the help mate, i havnt tried this kit before.

so any local brewers want to have a taste test?

Got this of another forum, haven't tried it yet but looks nice and tasty

1.7Kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1.5Kg Coopers Light Malt Extract
15g amarillo @ 15mins
15g amarillo @ 5 mins
15g amarillo dry hopped in secondary
Yeast - US-05

I assume that the boil is only with the malt extract and hops, and the Coopers Sparkling can is added straight to the wort? Can anyone confirm that?

I assume that the boil is only with the malt extract and hops, and the Coopers Sparkling can is added straight to the wort? Can anyone confirm that?

Yep, thats how I have been doing it for about 6 batches of this one, although I have been using the wheat malt, also a little carapils and Pale crystal steeped for 30mins @ 70 degrees gives this brew a little more body.

Cheers

Markvm

My brewing offsider dropped in yesterday with a six pack of James Squire Golden Ale which we both thouroughly enjoyed.
Then the next glass was of a kegged extract brew of the following.

250grams crystal 50, steeped @ 30 mins
Hallertau @40g@20min, 10g @5min
250g each of LDM & DCS
750g dex
1 x can Morgans Liquid lager malt
514 yeast

whilst not quite the same was very similar and complimented the Golden Ale very well

Will plan to the same brew but will sub the hops with amerillo

Fourstar said:
With the kits, get something with a restrained bitterness. Will help the Amarillo shine.

Golden ale MUST have some wheat malt in there somewhere. It doesnt have to be as much as ive used however if you're using liquid, the wheat content in a morgans tin is usually only 20%~ compared to dry being 100%? (dont quote me on this.)

Steep some crystal for some residual sweetness, Say 200g?

I would probably put something down like:

1 can Coopers Canadian blonde
1KG Dry Wheat Extract
500g of DME or 300g of dex (to thin it out somewhat)
200g Med. Crystal
20g Amarillo @ 20 mins
20g Amarillo @ 5 mins
20g Amarillo @ Flameout

Possibly dryhop aswell. Dependant on if im wanting to clone JSGA or not.

I did a JSGA clone-ish similar to this, with extact only, no kit.

2 tins of morgans Pale LME
1KG Dry Wheat Extract
300g Crystal
40g Amarillo 60 min
20g Amarillo 20 min
20g Amarillo Flameout

10g Amarillo (dry hop just to use up wat i had left)

Was quite noiiiiice.

In regards to the bottom recipe, if I was to replace the 1kg of Dry Wheat Extract with 1.5kg of Unhopped Liquid Wheat Malt Extract would this matter to much for the final outcome?

cheers

Latest posts

Back