Squat 23 And 12 Litre Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
Latest grain and grape newsletter has these brand new 23 and 12 litre kegs for sale.No price but they look the goods.

cheers
big d

View attachment 6422

They look like the same ones in the link below, which have corresponding prices attached, so that should give you some idea on the G&G price. $165 is not all that cheap for the 12L version, but I have seen a few *2nd hand* 3gal kegs go for more than that on ebay.

http://www.mikesbrew.com.au/keg_sets.htm

I think dicko has one of the 23L ones of them, but it's a bit hard to tell from that pic. If so, they look the duck's nuts all right.

big d said:
Latest grain and grape newsletter has these brand new 23 and 12 litre kegs for sale.No price but they look the goods.

cheers
big d

View attachment 6422
[post="115877"][/post]​

BigD,

They are the kegs designed (with a little help from yours truly) & imported by my local hbs here in Brizzy - They are great kegs where height rather than width is an issue - slightly larger lid as well, which makes for easier cleaning (still use same seals). the 23L is $20 more than the 12L. I'm hoping to slowly switch mine over if I can get a reasonable price on my current cornys...

cheers Ross

Dave at Botany home brew has a couple of the 12 lt jobbies last time I was there

I have two of these 'Brew-Bratt' kegs. Height is 47cm (add at least 5cm for disconnect) with a 27cm circular footprint. ABout $180 and any HBS that sells Morgans can get 'em. This was the only solution for me. Brilliant kegs. One criticsim is that the inner lip is sharp so be careful not to decapitate your arm when cleaning or head when checking it's clean.

Haven't written an essay yet on how to post pictures so I'm crap at it! If you want to have a look at my fridge with the kegs check out Post #4 here (Post #1 shows my first ever attempt at posting 145MB pictures!) The beers on the top shelf can be replaced with 2 more cubes. I think seeing my set-up gave Ross a few ideas for his bar - LOL

big d said:
[post="115877"][/post]​

Looks interesting! How much are they? and do G&g have them in stock? Might pay them a visit tomorrow...

Crikey! I was just using the Ross Method then on one of these 23 litre kegs and the base suddenly popped from concave to convex. Scared the hell out of me! Hasn't happened before and I was using the recommended pressure of 300kpa.

I'm off to work - might be safer there!

PP,

I've had the swing lock thingy on the top of my kegs occaissionally pop up when gassing the keg and that scares me. But if something like that happened to me I'd be needing to change my pants. :eek:

Gave me a good laugh though. Its always funnier when it happens to other people. :D

Cheers
Scott

Kai said:
I think dicko has one of the 23L ones of them, but it's a bit hard to tell from that pic. If so, they look the duck's nuts all right.
[post="115929"][/post]​

Yes, I grabbed a couple of these 23 litre jobs from Holden Hill Bill.
I have not commissioned them yet.
They do have a bigger lid but I do beg to differ with Ross regarding the seals being the same, because mine certainly aren't.
The story I got was that they are made in Taiwan ( I think ) and are brought into Aus by Morgan's Brewing.
If they prove to be OK I will be able to fit four of them in a chest freezer (read keg fridge) as the squat shape will allow them to be stored one above the other.
I plan to get rid of my 48 litre soda kegs as while they are fine to lift in and out of a fridge, you need to be Dean Lukin to lift them into a freezer.

Cheers

dicko said:
They do have a bigger lid but I do beg to differ with Ross regarding the seals being the same, because mine certainly aren't.
The story I got was that they are made in Taiwan ( I think ) and are brought into Aus by Morgan's Brewing.

Cheers
[post="116320"][/post]​

Dicko,

They may come fitted with different seals, but the standard corny keg seals certainly fit them & these are all that are available so far for replacements.

Also, they are made in China - not Taiwan & are brought into Australia by Quality Homebrew.

cheers Ross...

Ross said:
dicko said:

Cheers
[post="116320"][/post]​

Dicko,

They may come fitted with different seals, but the standard corny keg seals certainly fit them & these are all that are available so far for replacements.

Also, they are made in China - not Taiwan & are brought into Australia by Quality Homebrew.

cheers Ross...
[post="116325"][/post]​

Hi Ross

I was in no way being critical re the seals and I was only repeating what I was told at the point of sale re the manufacturer / importer.

I found that you could stretch the corny seal to fit the chinese job but because of the corny seal being thicker in section it was very tight to re install the lid and it tends to cause the legs on the lid to want to splay to the sides.
If I need seals for mine I will go to one of the suppliers of O rings and get some that will be closer to the profile.

I am concerned with Pistols comment about the bottom of the chinese keg popping out of shape when he applied pressure to it.

Do they have a pressure rating?

A picture paints a thousand words,

The o ring on the left is a corny and the one on the right is from the chinese keg.

Beer.jpg

dicko said:
I am concerned with Pistols comment about the bottom of the chinese keg popping out of shape when he applied pressure to it.

[post="116338"][/post]​

I've spoken to the importer - He thinks they are rated to 60 psi (414kpa I think), but I'll get confirmation. Apparently this isnt the first one to "pop". Apparently Morgans are looking at making a stand for the popped keg to sit on, so it doesn't wobble. They reckon it's fine after it's popped. Can't say I would be too happy...

Cheers Ross

Nothing against the chinese manufacturer but if one happened to pop right open then look out.Who would be liable.Do these kegs have to meet certain Australian standards etc.
Would hate to hear of an unfortunate homebrewer who comes unstuck.Certainly hope they have an appropriatly rated safety valve installed.

Cheers
Big D

Ross said:
dicko said:

[post="116338"][/post]​

I've spoken to the importer - He thinks they are rated to 60 psi (414kpa I think), but I'll get confirmation. Apparently this isnt the first one to "pop". Apparently Morgans are looking at making a stand for the popped keg to sit on, so it doesn't wobble. They reckon it's fine after it's popped. Can't say I would be too happy...

Cheers Ross
[post="116344"][/post]​

I wont be to pleased if mine "pops",in fact I would be looking for a refund.
Big D's comment on safety is a valid one.
Being manufactured in China would mean that the item would not necessarily have to meet any Australian Standard.
The cost of manufacture would be very low so maybe the importer might insist on a thicker S/Steel sheeting and testing to full pressure prior to importing another batch.
Then, what should happen is that all these kegs should be recalled and replaced with a suitable unit or as I said above, a refund should apply.
I would like Pistolpatch to post a picture of the exploded keg.
I'm sure that this will go further than Morgans making a stand to suit the faulty units.
Cheers from a not now so happy kegger :angry:

I wonder what the internal volume of a popped keg is.... everyone may be doing it so they can have more beer :p

Having briefly compared both the standard Corny kegs and the new Morgans kegs, I think that the Cornys are a much higher quality keg. The steel seems thinner and the safety valve looks crap (and doesn't seem to be suited to the keg given the base blowing out) on the Morgans.

Hearing about the base popping out, that's just bad. I think it's good that there is another alternative for kegging, but a quality product not only lasts longer and is more reliable, but is safer.

My 2c

Cheers,

Sam

sam said:
Having briefly compared both the standard Corny kegs and the new Morgans kegs, I think that the Cornys are a much higher quality keg. The steel seems thinner and the safety valve looks crap (and doesn't seem to be suited to the keg given the base blowing out) on the Morgans.

Hearing about the base popping out, that's just bad. I think it's good that there is another alternative for kegging, but a quality product not only lasts longer and is more reliable, but is safer.

My 2c

Cheers,

Sam
[post="116385"][/post]​

Hi Sam,
I have applied the maximum pressure to my "cornys" and the valve doesn't blow off either, so I assume that the "corny" can take more pressure that can be delivered by the co2 bottle and the co2 regulator.
I have had another look at the "chinesey" and this problem may be fixed by shaping and welding a piece of flat stainless steel on its edge into the dimple at the bottom of the keg on the outside.
While I am no Mechanical engineer I recon that this would be a simple fix in production.
Im sure Ross will be onto this with some good results as soon as he recovers from Batz's Birthday Bash. (lucky buggar)
Cheers

Just got home & thought I better check back here to see if it was safe to sleep in close proximity to above-mentioned keg.

Jye No pressure rating stamped on the keg. This sounds a little suss to me. All it has is a sticker (which I could quickly reproduce on a bubble-jet) saying, "AS Pressure SPAC TESTED 9001"

Jerry I usually apply a little pressure first to ensure lid is sealed. This time I forgot and there was some leakage (30ml) then the seal popped into place then, 'boom.' Was I worried? My thinking is a little slow at present so I thought, 'That's weird,' and kept shaking the keg until target pressure was reached. Two minutes later I thought, 'That's not weird, that's 'ken frightening.' Then I quickly ran away to work.

big d As I was one of the first purchasers, I wouldn't like to be the first to experience 'Kerboom.' 'Boom,' is enough for me. And, as you say, what's the go with the safety valve? Surely this should go before a keg pops?

dicko, Sam I'll be ringing HBS on Monday to discuss a refund/solution. They are thinner kegs for sure but until now, never thought twice about it. All else about them is great. Will have a bash at photos in the morn but my camera is dodgy as well. Should be good enough though. I really needed this size keg and thought that buying new was just an investment.

Ross Before I bought the kegs, I asked if they could be stacked. I was told that they were bringing out collars to make them stackable. Hope they're not telling us now that the collars are for popped kegs! The keg now sits 5mm higher and is therefotre useless to me - yep, my space constraints are that tight! The best bit though Ross, is that it has that crappy dark beer in it that I was going to give to Macca anyway!

What a shame. Apart from this, the kegs have been perfect for me.

Photos tomorrow.... (Note to Self: Re-do all the searches you have already done on posting and re-sizing pictures. Take notes this time.)

EDIT

PICTURES Having some trouble posting the pics but here are the 2 that Dreamboat waws able to get a glimpse of about an hour ago! Will try posting some more below.

View attachment Normal_Base_Above.bmp
View attachment Popped_Base_Above.bmp

Back