Spit beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimT

Reaction score
I'm serious.

Traditional chicha is made through saliva conversion of cornstarch to sugar.... The maize flour is slightly moistened with water, rolled into a small ball, and placed in the mouth.... the ptyalin [enzyme in the mouth] converts the cornstarch to sugar.
Stephen Buhner, Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers

'Thou, my golden-breasted marten,
Thou my son of golden color,
Haste thou whither I may send thee,
To the bear-dens of the mountain,
To the grottoes of the growler,
Gather yeast upon thy fingers,
Gather foam from lips of anger,
From the lips of bears in battle,
Bring it to the hands of Kapo,
To the hands of Osmo's daughter.'

"Then the marten golden-breasted,
Full consenting, hastened onward,
Quickly bounding on his journey,
Lightly leaping through the distance
Leaping o'er the widest rivers,
Leaping over rocky fissures,
To the bear-dens of the mountain,
To the grottoes of the growler,
Where the wild-bears fight each other,
Where they pass a dread existence,
Iron rocks, their softest pillows,
In the fastnesses of mountains;
From their lips the foam was dripping,
From their tongues the froth of anger;
This the marten deftly gathered,
Brought it to the maiden, Kapo,
Laid it in her dainty fingers.

"Osmotar, the beer-preparer,
Brewer of the beer of barley,
Used the beer-foam as a ferment;
But it brought no effervescence,
Did not make the liquor sparkle.

The Kalevala

I once used to prison visit a friend from university who had fallen by the wayside...he told me there was a generous supply of beer in prison....All you needed, he said, was old bread, orange juice, and spit... he told me that if you wanted to do it in a decent batch you needed to mix yours with everybody else's.
How to make cider, mead, perry and fruit wines - Craig Hughes

So, anyone tried this? Bear spit beer sounds especially hard core.

No, I'm not planning to ...

There was a US brewery that had a crack. Maybe dogfish head?

Will look it up.

How's that for a job description.

I do wonder how they managed to get that one past the FDA.....

There was an episode of Brew Masters where DFH made their Chicha.......gross.....the staff looked like they really enjoyed doing the chewing part too. :unsure:

I consider myself to have a pretty strong stomach. (20 years as a Paramedic does that) but doubt i could bring myself to drink it.

Couldn't give a rats if it was chewed up and spat out by a bunch of peruvian virgin chicks.

Have to say "pass". Mind you, if i had to choose between that and XXXX, i'd probably rather drink the saliva.

I'd give it a try, basically saliva contains alpha amylase. and it does get boiled so no infections etc get carried over.

This was a traditional way to make rice wine for many hundreds of years.

For those who want to drool before brewing, instead of after.

I'd definitely try it. Dunno if I'd commit to a full batch, seems like a long day chewin'.

This was a traditional way to make rice wine for many hundreds of years.

Still there is something quite off putting about a drink that is choc full of human biological material (even if it is boiled).

GalBrew said:
Still there is something quite off putting about a drink that is choc full of human biological material (even if it is boiled).
Yeah, but maybe it adds to the mouth-feel... Maybe even better than oats ;)

I drank some when I was in Peru, wasn't too bad. Quite thick and chunky, as I don't think it was strained at all, but definitely didn't taste horrible.

To make a decent amount you'd probably have to chew maize all day. Buhner says it is best done with family and friends and would take a few hours. The family that drools together stays together?

I'd give it a go, why not, after all it's been put through the boil. The prison beer technique sounds more like it would end up being a bacterial fermentation(?) though the presence of starch and orange juice would make it a sugary solution congenial to yeast. Might end up with some quite nice vinegar, though....

On last week reading the detail about bear spit in the Kalevala, my thought was that it's the sort of paradoxical detail or riddle that traditional storytellers and singers like to occasionally embellish their art with. (For instance, another example I remember is in the Norse myths where, in order to make a chain that is strong enough to bind Fenrir the wolf, the dwarves have to seek out such substances as 'the beard of a woman', 'the sound a cat makes when it walks', and 'the roots of a mountain'). But the use of spit in fermentation checks out, and maybe the riddle or paradox comes in when they bring in the bear.

But imagine being the brewer to make a bear-spit beer. Maybe you could contact the zoo....

Latest posts

Back