Spiral Burner Emergency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian44

Reaction score
Hey. My spiral burner has stopped working. I was raising the temp up to mash in, it just made it. Than the burner died, like it ran out of gas. I went and got the spare gas bottle filled up, but it didnt fix the problem.

Is it possible that the burner is full of soot? Or any suggestions?

TYVM Damian

Hey. My spiral burner has stopped working. I was raising the temp up to mash in, it just made it. Than the burner died, like it ran out of gas. I went and got the spare gas bottle filled up, but it didnt fix the problem.

TYVM Damian

Could be, if you have a drill, use a bit the same size as burner holes and drill every hole, its amazing the shit thats in there... :unsure:

Not sure if that would stop the burner working completely though.... Is there anything wrong with your gas hose? Regulator?

CB

TYVM Damian

if you have access to a air compressor try and blow it out, you might be able to take to the servo and use the tyre pump if you're desperate. also try and brush the gas outlets with a wire brush, how long have you sued it for ? wash it out with methanol or something similar and LEAVE TO DRY if all else fails.

Aaron

Thanks heaps guys. Im gonna nick up to the servo. If that dont work ill get the drill out. Ta.

Thanks heaps guys. Im gonna nick up to the servo. If that dont work ill get the drill out. Ta.

Clogged Jet? You can get a pricker to clean it from some camping and gas stores - at least I remember being able to get it for Primus gear. I guess you'd have to investigate it further - jet size etc...

Its working again. Just in time for mash out. The beer gods must be smiling. I dont know why the flame that was burning strongly died out. I just played around with the air in take knob and its fine. For now.

Thanks

Sounds to me like there was a piece of rubbish in the main jet blocking the gasflow, might pay to check it out before your next brew so the same thing doesn't happen again - unscrew the hose, then the whole jet/tap assembly (the whole brass bit) from the end of the main burner body, open the valve all the way and blow out with the compressor from the jet end. Doesn't take much to block them, happens occasionally with other burners with a jet too.

Latest posts

Back