Spent Grain In Compost

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattress

Reaction score
I've started being serious about my garden and have set up a compost pile.

Interested to know if anyone puts their spent grain in the compost and how does it go?

I don't have any chooks so I can't go down that path.

if you have a big enough yard it should be fine. It will stink so bad you wont wont it close to your house lol I left some in the bag in the shed once and forgot about it 2 days later I soon realised what I had done haha

I've started being serious about my garden and have set up a compost pile.

Interested to know if anyone puts their spent grain in the compost and how does it go?

I don't have any chooks so I can't go down that path.

Beware of rodents.....

I mulch my hop plants with it
The rest goes on the grass out the front
Spread it out even and sparse
As it does attract mice and birds
I have a shit load of Cockatoos so the mice are not really a problem

Do you have kids?

Mine feed happily on the spend grain for at least half an hour.

The rest I chuck in the bin as we don't need any more rats around the property.

Do you have kids?

Mine feed happily on the spend grain for at least half an hour.

The rest I chuck in the bin as we don't need any more rats around the property.

I have teenagers. Does that count?

I put mine in the compost with a fair bit of dry pea straw mulch. The dry stuff stops the grain from stinking, just give the compost a good stir when it goes in. Recently the grain caused my compost to get quite hot which probably wasnt good for the worms.

I dump it on the compost pile, then next day mix it through, as I would every few days with the compost anyway.

Haven't had any worries with aroma or rodents*.

Kev

*That I know of...

well, a sharp long handle shovel wont shit all over the lawn

Straight into the worm farm at my place. The liquid helps the process.
Put a bucket under the drain tap to catch any excess liquid. Hey presto, (almost) instant liquid fertilizer for which ever plant has the need.

spread it out a bit, or you will end up with a sticky lump full of ants

What I don't feed to the chooks I mix with a couple of good handfuls of dolomite and some straw/sugarcane/lucerne and bury it in the middle of the compost pile. If you don't let it cool and you throw it in there warm you'll find the heat will start to decompose it very quickly and not give too many things a chance to eat it. The downside of this is it will stink to high heaven until it's finished. If you dig a hole a couple of feet deep and bury it in there it'll run it's course and the worms will finish it off without too much smell escaping.

I wish I knew someone with pigs. A couple of pigs fattened up on spent grain, the pigs would have to taste good ;)

1/2 goes in to the worm farm. The grain is like drugs for the worms: the following day the worms are gobbling it up like crazy. No smell that I can tell.

The other 1/2 I either dig in to the garden or spread on as a layer between the garden bed and the sugar cane mulch. Never had a problem with rodents.

Back