Spent Grain In Compost

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 20 chickens go through a 5Kg mash in a couple of hours. I have noticed the yokes get brighter orange when I do darker beers too.

I wish I knew someone with pigs. A couple of pigs fattened up on spent grain, the pigs would have to taste good ;)

Mr. Vortex methinks you have the right idea. Dear lord, the mash-fed veal and pork I've had were, well, hard to stop eating.

:icon_offtopic:

Now back to our previously scheduled discussion of rot.

It can be used in making bread.

My guinea pigs love it. Chooks too. I have never had an issue with smell.

Do you have kids?

Mine feed happily on the spend grain for at least half an hour.

The rest I chuck in the bin as we don't need any more rats around the property.

Your kids eat the spent grain? It's really not very tasty!!!
We spread it across the garden beds and it works really well as a mulch and completely stops weeds growing! Haven't had any problems with rats but we have a cat with a bad attitude to combat that!
Only problem is that once it dries it starts to blow around the garden so have started to mix it well with the garden soil.

Kids eat dirt, sand, playdough, paint, worms etc...I don't think the taste is a big issue. :lol:

Haha true

But the idea of a bunch of kids just sitting there eating spent grain for a whole hour is unsettling to say the least.

Latest posts

Back