Spelt And Rye Flour Bread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
I got onto some spelt and rye flour today.

Does anyone know what sort of ratioś these flour should be used with wheat flour seperatly

Could I make a straight spelt/rye bread....??

I got onto some spelt and rye flour today.

Does anyone know what sort of ratioś these flour should be used with wheat flour seperatly

Could I make a straight spelt/rye bread....??

I use them all the time. I love rye bread and spelt gives a fantastic nutty flavour. I seldom make breads without one of those in the mix.

You can use them straight but rye gets very heavy. Spelt used straight makes a hard to work dough - very stiff.

I tend to use them up to 50% with the remainder white bakers flour. 30% is my usual mix. Even 5% rye in a bread gives a slight hint of flavour and a slightly rustic feel to things.

Cheers
Dave

The rye flour looks very pale. I was hoping to get some really dark flour to make the classic dark heavy brown rye breads

The rye flour looks very pale. I was hoping to get some really dark flour to make the classic dark heavy brown rye breads

You need a touch of "Bakers Caramel" to get the color Stu. Don't know if your local bread shop would let you have some.

Yep.. a rye bread is usually just a greyish colour. The really dark brown stuff is a caramel colouring.

Cheers
Dave

maybe this will help Stu,
Extracted from here

Baker's Caramel is burnt sugar -- specifically sugar that has been slowly simmered until it looks like the bottom of a coffee pot left on the heat too long.

It is used to colour spirits, wines, baked goods such as Dark Rye, Pumpernickel Bread, gravies, etc.

For commercial use, Baker's Caramel is sold in large drums.

For home use, Baker's Caramel is sold in 8 oz (250 ml) bottles. A bottle will last a home cook practically forever.

Cooking Tips for Baker's Caramel
To make Baker's Caramel in liquid form: 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed (8 oz / 225 g) with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Then add 1 cup (8 oz / 225 ml) boiling water, and let simmer for about 15 minutes or until it becomes like a dark syrup.

Just made a 50/50 rye/wheat dough with my sourdough starter

Rye seems to need more water than straight wheat flour, and has a distinct aroma, also the rye flour looks like it could be wholemeal, or is that the way it comes..

Just made a 50/50 rye/wheat dough with my sourdough starter

Rye seems to need more water than straight wheat flour, and has a distinct aroma, also the rye flour looks like it could be wholemeal, or is that the way it comes..

Great minds must think alike. I just finished working a 50/50 rye sourdough myself. Should be ready for baking tomorrow morning.

It makes a much stiffer dough than regular flour and much less workable. It can take a little more water but due to its lower gluten content it can go sloppy if you give it too much. My rye is 74% which is about the same as my regular doughs. Any more and I find its just too sloppy and takes too long to come together.

And yes, rye flour is almost always wholemeal.

Cheers
Dave

I'd be tempted to cut the rye down to 5-10%. At 25% it will taste more like a rye loaf than anything else. Even a few % rye gives a distinct rye flavour.

Cheers
Dave

Do you have light rye or dark rye? My dark rye makes a very dark loaf.

This is the best bread making book i have read. The first 80 odd pages can be seen in the link below. It has a good description of the different flours.

Also states that a Sourdough is only a sourdough if it is made with Rye. Other breads are Leavens.

Bread Matters: Andrew Whitley

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=qQsSTI...p;q&f=false

Parisian Essence

This will work as a browing agent. Its in the cake section of the supermarket. Does seem to impact on flavour. I use it in my mushroom sauce...

Forget the baker's caramel, bust out some Sinamar for colouring that bread!

I got some Patent malt, and roast barley i could put thru the mill... :)

Back