Specific Gravity Reader's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,

We all know that to check the gravity of the beer before we pitch, during and after ferment that this requires either a Hydrometer or a Refractometer. Would it be an insane concept to have a digital or analog device that was inserted to the FV that remained in place during the ferment that could give a constant reading of the wort gravity?

Dan

If it was that easy I'm sure someone would have done it by now.

There have been two separate companies developing something like this in the past few years and both of them gave up. Honestly I'm not sure why it's so difficult, but I guess it must be.

I was thinking about it this morning and it would be a great device to get constant readings.

I have recently read of one other trying to do this and did apparently have a working proto .... just can't remember where :blink:

Large breweries still resort to daily sampling and lab analysis.

I thought about the same thing at one time, like a sight glass on the side with hydrometer in it, but in the end, it is just easier and more sanitary (provided good practice) to take the sample from the main body.

e.g. What do you do when your device goes out of calibration?

Should be enough of them soon (if the device works okay, anyway). They doubled their Kickstarter goal.

In theory you could sit the fermenter on some very accurate scales and calculate the gravity change from the change in "weight" as the ferment progresses.Problem is scales accurate enough and needing to have extremely accurate fv volume info.Not practical,but possible :)

Back