Sparkling Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
There have been various discussions here and elsewhere discussing the pros and cons of the BJCP guidelines in comps. Without regurgitating the arguments here, one stand out issue that creates resistance is the "missing aussie styles".

To avoid arguments over what exactly constitutes the missing styles, I have picked one for which there is likely to be little dispute, "Sparkling Ale".

For better or worse, I have started a wiki page (of course) which can be found at:

http://brewiki.org/AussieStyles/Sparkling_Ale

And I would love contributions from people on AHB, particularly those with many years experience in the home brewing scene in Australia and detailed knowledge of the style. I don't really qualify.

I have set this page up so people can edit it anonymously, in actual fact, I would love people to register their wiki name so that their contributions can be acknowledged.

Now already the wiki page contains information superfluous to printed style guidelines, such as web links, but a condensed version can easily be produced say along the lines of the BJCP format.

If this works, I can create similar pages for other Australian styles that have a chance of getting their own sub style in the BCJP guidelines at some time in the future.

If anyone out there is already working on such a project, I haven't set out to create competion, but I would really like to see some transparancy in the process - hence my public wiki page. Historically the BJCP have shown that they will evolve the list.

I will pose the same request to OCB shortly. Its more likely to cause some kind of debate than some genuine contributions but I might be wrong.

If it was all sugar I'd assume it would be sub-1.000.

Attenuative wort?

My only experiences with high sugar are from a single kit and kilo brew, and I know cans of extract are not highly attenuative.

Well Done Sossman - another Aus style is Austarlian Dark eg tooheys old or DogBolter - would like to see them in the BJCP.

GMK said:
snipped>>
.....DogBolter
[post="99888"][/post]​

what? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
Thats not an australian dark ale.

Out on the tiles
Jayse

interesting article
be good to see him update it

jayse said:
GMK said:
snipped>>
.....DogBolter
[post="99888"][/post]​

what? :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:
Thats not an australian dark ale.

Out on the tiles
Jayse
[post="99906"][/post]​
That's right - it's a Bock, isn't it?

wow

what a great idea

One of these pages should be set up for each iconic aussie style

The one thing that pisses me off about the BJCP is that when i look under pale lager there is only reference to american styles.

Fair enough, aussie lagers dont have too much to brag about but they are a style to there own and deserve recognition

VB: Melt 5 KG of old rubberbands and add water to achieve required body and mouth feel. Carbonate and drink.

just kidding

cheers

Latest posts

Back