Sparge ring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate, I ended up calling New Era & ordering one

It's exactly the design I had in my head but thought would be really expensive to have custom made

Beer brewed yesterday and the sparge ring worked really well. Normally I have the silicon hose laying on top of the grain bed. I find even at the slowest recirc speeds, I get a small amount of channeling. I didn't have this at all with the sparge ring.. Photos below during recirc and sparge.

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

1324dfd733535e58dba70264e6d05c9b70346204d2cacef65abef9c702746d1c.jpg

Yeah I'm using 1/2" tube and attached it with a hose clamp. Seemed to hold up alright. I hooked it up before I brewed to run some TSP trough it and even at full steam held up well.

I knocked up a ghetto interpretation of the ss manifold as a wort recirculation return for my 1V. Silicon hose offcuts with 2mm drilled holes, quick connect fitting with hose barb and three SS tee barbs - total cost maybe ~$18. Seems to be doing the job reasonably well, I'm open to suggestions for improvements though - not sure if maybe enlarging some of the holes to reduce spray distance might be worthwhile?

Sorry about the poor pic and video quality.

IMG_20160922_071359_1.jpgIMG_20160922_092806_1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbhdfKmm7UM

Camo6 said:
From memory I was getting about 80% according to Beersmith but now aim for about 72% and still have trouble hitting my numbers regularly. I'd made a few changes to the setup and not overly concerned but would still like to get to the bottom of it.
I comfortably manage this range batch sparge recirc each batch run for 10 minutes

Awesome work meddo!

I love how people on here just go "**** that, I'm gonna make me own" & come up with some ingenious shit

Latest posts

Back