Some Very Interesting Feral Beers Soon At The Local Taphouse.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrenosBrews

Reaction score
This is from The Local Taphouse blog.

Feral's "Oaktoberfest" kegs on route.

Expect to sample the following for our Feral friends in WA over coming weeks. Here are brewer Brendan's tasting notes:

"The Funky Junkie" - an intensely sour beer of our own style. It is a blend of different yeast and bacteria with at least a third of the blend coming from beer spontaneously fermented with Swan Valley microflora. 4.7%abv

"Dark Funk 2.0" a beefed up version of this year's earlier release. A little stronger and a lot more sour with 20% of the blend comprised of Boris that has been worked over by peddiococus for 18 months.
5.3%abv

"Barrel Fermented Hop Hog". Our flagship IPA that had a primary fermentation in new French oak barriques before being returned to stainless steel for final processing and carbonation. Think all the great pine needle and grapefruit you associate with Hop Hog with an added vanilla aroma and softened mouthfeel. 5.8%abv

These beers are yet another sign of the fast-changing craft beer landscape. Lap it up!

No affiliation etc. Just a fan of The Local & Feral. A little birdy tells me one or two (hopefully all 3) of these will be on for the pre-ANHC gathering on the Thursday evening.

Yeah I read about this, I'm quite impressed that Australia has it's first commercial beer that at least in part uses spontaneous fermentation

Feral are becoming a seriously impressive brewery. Just need them to pump out a mind blowing IIPA and they can justifiably be called the russian river of aus.

Feral are becoming a seriously impressive brewery. Just need them to pump out a mind blowing IIPA and they can justifiably be called the russian river of aus.

I don't know if you were there early enough but Brendan was wearing a Pliny The Elder hoodie when he first got to the Ale Stars. Also talking to him afterwards it would seem his spent a fair amount of time talking to Vinnie about "New world" sour/wild beers. So his definately a fan of Russian River, but who wouldn't be?

Q - Apparently the unblended spontaneous fermented beer was so intensely sour that it was unpalateable. I thought they'd dumped it, glad to see they haven't!

I don't know if you were there early enough but Brendan was wearing a Pliny The Elder hoodie when he first got to the Ale Stars. Also talking to him afterwards it would seem his spent a fair amount of time talking to Vinnie about "New world" sour/wild beers. So his definately a fan of Russian River, but who wouldn't be?

Q - Apparently the unblended spontaneous fermented beer was so intensely sour that it was unpalateable. I thought they'd dumped it, glad to see they haven't!

Yeah, I saw that. Now if only I could try the damn beer.

Has anyone tried "Rust"? Had it on tap at Clancy's and it wasn't to my taste. I was surprised to learn that it's a Belgian brown. I've had a few Belgian's and this didn't taste like any of them although I may can't recall a brown specifically. It was very fruity, a bit like some English ales.

hopefully some of this stuff will be botteld too
as much as I love going out to the brewery, I woudl prefer to quaff ast my own leisure

Has anyone tried "Rust"? Had it on tap at Clancy's and it wasn't to my taste. I was surprised to learn that it's a Belgian brown. I've had a few Belgian's and this didn't taste like any of them although I may can't recall a brown specifically. It was very fruity, a bit like some English ales.

Yeah I've tried it...wasn't for me either. the notes I have from the taster a couple of months ago were musty and hints of banana and ultimately missing the mark for me.

The barrel fermented hop hog would be interesting...

That's probably my least favourite beer from them. Hop Hog, Fanta Pants, Boris, Raging Flem & Dark Funk are all much better beers. I find it too dry for a Belgian Abbey style ale.

reviving this thread to say that the Barrel Fermented Hop Hog has, I think, tipped Murray's Icon 2IPA as my favorite Australian IPA.

simply amazing beer.

Latest posts

Back