Sodastream PET bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduza

Reaction score
I've tried searching this question but results are all about the sodastream co2 bottles, which is not what I am asking about.

Instead, the plastic bottles that are branded by sodastream, which take a decent pressure.

Could I bottle the leftovers (ie anything too much for the keg) into these? I've had bad experiences with other people's glass bottled beer in the car, especially along bumpy, dirt roads. The main person I'll share my beer with is my old man, and he does live on a farm 40 mins from me, so glass is a risk that will bite me at some point.

If I can pour straight from the fermenter into sodastream plastic bottles, keep them dark (in a box) and then dad can carbonate them in his sodastream when he's ready to drink... That's an easy workflow, for sure. But there may be an oxygen problem in that concept.

Thoughts?

20200711_140729.jpg

I think there is going to be a monster foaming head problem to.
Maybe a third of a bottle of carbonated beer and two buckets of suds - not for me thanks.
Mark

Would the bottles be suitable for normal bottle conditioning? They seem to make a decent seal.

Regarding actual force carbonation with the sodastream, I might just give it a go with one bottle, but I suspect you're right.

They probably would be fine, bit expensive though. I think they are $4-5 each, coopers PET bottles are about $1 each.
Please get the force carbonation experiment videoed could be good for a laugh, we all need more of those as things are.
Mark

Yeah I finally found some info on it. It's apparently possible with spaced out, really short pulses of it. But f... that.

The bottles are expensive but for whatever reason I have half a dozen already.

Yeah I finally found some info on it. It's apparently possible with spaced out, really short pulses of it. But f... that.

The bottles are expensive but for whatever reason I have half a dozen already.

I've tried it and it isn't very successful, ok it you want an idea of what a brew will be like carbonated but not a good method.
I take glass bottles when i go 4wding and never had 1 break so i don't see that as an issue, coopers pet bottles pre-primed are a much better option.

Latest posts

Back