Soda Stream

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
Ok, I am sure someone has tried it, but has anyone tried gassing a beer that was in secondary in a soda stream machine for a sneak peak of what it will taste like? will I kill it?

manaen said:
Ok, I am sure someone has tried it, but has anyone tried gassing a beer that was in secondary in a soda stream machine for a sneak peak of what it will taste like? will I kill it?
[post="106402"][/post]​
Dont know why I never thought of that before.

I've had APA in secondary for the last 4 weeks.

Both soda stream cylinders are empty.
I'm now on a mission to Kmart and report back with the results later.

johnno

Ive had a few pints but IIRC this has been discussed on the grumpy forum and it resulted in foam... but it is worth a second go :D

Let there be beer :beer:

I think that was one of the first 100 post threads on Grumps and I seem to recall the results werent good.

Jye said:
Linky
[post="106411"][/post]​
Got back about 15 minutes ago.
Yep. My memory is jogged now. Remember reading that thread on Grumpys site.

But in my desperation as well as for the sake of saving/ drinking homebrewed beer (which is THE BEST IMHO)i think this is worth a try for me now.

Otherwise its of to the bottle shop and $80 for a half decent case of beer.

Oh, and dont let me start about Kmart etc etc.
/rant off.

Yours in No Homebrew :(

johnno

How did it go? Did you wear your raincoat :lol:

The sodastream machine would only work if you can release the pressure VERY slowly so I think it will end in disaster. There's probably a way to modify it to do what you want though.

Hoops

EDIT: normally I just taste it straight from the secondary as is anyway, but I have it at 0-2C so there'es a bit of disolved CO2 in it.

Well after 5 schooners of bravery I had to try it. I have the soda stream 'Premium' with the 1L bottles, filled it up to the normal line, gassed it like a normal soda and man you should see the foam sepage. I let it sit for about 4 mins with foam forcing it's way out the top, unscrewed it and put the cap on. I think I have retained about 600ml from 1L. I have wacked it into the freezer for 10 mins to chill (it was straight out of secondary @ 20degC) .. will post how it goes.

edit: after this next schooner :chug:

OK to start with you want the beer nice and cold so that it will absorb as much CO2 as possible and will foam as little as possible, so next time try putting it in the freezer first, then try and gas it.

Hoops

Yep. Gets too foamy. I only filled it to about 700 ml.
Mine is at 6C in secondary.

Oh well straight out of the fermenter it is then. Got a taste of those cascade hops and ...mmmm. :chug:

Case of Mountain Goat coming up as well. :beerbang:

cheers
johnno

Well apart from being slightly over carbonated it seems to have worked !! not quite cool enough yet but I will give half a glass a go.

I'll take your advice Hoops and chill it first next time.

Thanks for input fellas(Unbeeknown to you all)I have a few Soda Streams sitting around.But never been game to try it.THANKS.(old ones 250gm one partial filled bottle left.)
Friend of mine had a commercial bottle filling machine for sale,few years ago,said it had to be around 6deg,from memory to work.
cheers
PJ

6 deg C hey .. sounds like a plan next time..

FORGOT To add sugar in the beer .priming .could be reason for frothing,
Maybe try one that has not had sugar added after ferment.
PJ

The froth is probably due to the direct carbonation method that Soda Stream use in their Drinks makers, as opposed to how we carbonate our kegs.

I guess that's why they make it clear not to add the syrup before carbonation.

It's a good idea to try the beer before maturation, maybe altering the jet nozzle will help to reduce foam?

PhilS said:
I guess that's why they make it clear not to add the syrup before carbonation.

Nah, the reason for not adding syrup before carbonation is more about keeping the machine clean.

If you added syrup before carbing you'd need to thoroughly clean the machine every time you used it ;)

PZ.

Ah, thanks F_B. I wasn't game to try it :)

Latest posts

Back