Soda Stream

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebejeckel

Reaction score
Before i go and do something silly and possibly bust my kids brand new soda stream, is it possible that it might work to force carb a beer, would be great when making a brew and trying it out before the final hops or such are done?, has anyone tried one?im fascinated and busting to ty

joe :lol:

Keep a cloth and Spray n Wipe handy.

Keep SWMBO out of the room too.

You'll do no damage to the machine.

[EDIT: realise the above is a little ambiguous. Don't to it, Joe.]

Dont bust it Joe...
I will give you an old one if you want ..But i am in Nowra..
Too expensive for force carb..Dispence O.K......
I am new to the kegging i have my kegs Naturally carbing..and i am going to
play around with SS....I have a Reg.fitted to one.....
I also have a 5Kg. Bottle...
Cheers
PJ

I'm guessing you're talking about using the sodastream machine itself...
Well it will work.. but just like using it with pre-syrup'd water.. expect a fizzy mess to come out of the bottle when you unhook it.

I'm guessing you're talking about using the sodastream machine itself...
Well it will work.. but just like using it with pre-syrup'd water.. expect a fizzy mess to come out of the bottle when you unhook it.
Yep,

I'm pretty sure that's what Joe's itchin' to try.

Back in the day we used it to recarb flat store bought coke etc with our sodastream (among other things)...

You have to hit it with the 3 quick depressions in quick succession and get it out fast and have your jug or big glass ready.

If it's like the one we had, it has a bayonet type screw-in bottle that can become stuck during said procedure...this will result in kitchen being covered in beer....perhaps try outside.

I never did try it with beer so let us know how it goes.

PB

I tried this once.. racked from fermentor to sodastream bottle..

Connected to machine, pushed button .. just a little to test.. immediately coated the nearby walls with beer :(

SWMBO was not impressed :lol:

oooppsss'

I got the wrong idea..I thought Joe wanted one to pull down and wreck..
Cheers
PJ
There was a 600 ?? odd List on Grumpys Forum...Dont use it to Carb.a bottle of Beer.
It is disastrous.......

your better off using a shrader (sp?) cap. althought thats the name for the home made ones.

craftbrewer sells carb caps for forcecarbing in bottles

your better off using a shrader (sp?) cap. althought thats the name for the home made ones.

craftbrewer sells carb caps for forcecarbing in bottles

I've got one of those (the blue one) and they aren't a lot of use for carbing up beer to the same level as a bottle conditioned brew unfortunately. I've sat there and shaken and shaken and shaken at recommended pressure for 10 minutes and still had the beers marked down in comps as 'good example of the style but unfortunately lacks carbonation'. Troydo has had the same experience as we were discussing at a BABBs meeting last year. However they are useful to draw off 2 litres of draught into a PET to take it somewhere with the blue cap still on, and remember to bring the $30 worth of cap home with you afterwards :p

I was looking at sodastreams in Woolies the other day and wondering myself.

I use the carbonator caps and provided you turn the pressure up a bit and leave some headspace they work well. I can carbonated a PET bottle with a bit of headspace in under 30 seconds, it then has to sit for a bit before I can take the cap off.

I have tried the sodastream in the past as well and again you need to let it sit for a long time. Best off waiting two weeks if you're carbonating naturally, there's less mess :)

Back