Soap Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not related to chlorine but I'd be using something else to see if that is related to the issue. so2 isn't all that great but has been traditionally used in homebrewing.

I have experienced a slight soapy taste in a few of my more hoppier beers. I have also read that water that is low in sulfate concentration can give hoppy beers a slight soapy taste. IIRC this info was on a Brewing Network podcast, not sure which one perhaps the American IPA or Imerial IPA one perhaps?

Cheers

I have experienced a slight soapy taste in a few of my more hoppier beers. I have also read that water that is low in sulfate concentration can give hoppy beers a slight soapy taste. IIRC this info was on a Brewing Network podcast, not sure which one perhaps the American IPA or Imerial IPA one perhaps?

Cheers
Hmmm, I have noticed a slight hint of soapiness (is that a word?) in two recent beers where I didn't add gypsum (mislaid my stash somewhere). This seemed only to be present early on and disappeared after a few days conditioning. You could be onto something there.

Latest posts

Back