SN Flipside Red IPA AG Recipe Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another killer question..

Assuming this is brewed with SN's house yeast. What do others think about commercially available yeast that is closest to that SN profile?

from listening to a Brewing Network Sunday Session from ages ago that interviewed Ken Grossman, I believe their house yeast is WLP001

BeerNess said:
After talking to one of 6 Strings brewers at Bitter & Twisted about their dark red IPA, might be an idea to think about adding the chocolate malt in the sparge instead of for the whole mash to reduce the flavour and still gain colour. I've never tried this SN one but looks and sounds very similar to 6 Strings ....
I understand that 6String do add the black malt to the sparge to create the colour without the roast flavour and its a great technique. However they are miles apart in comparison for a Red IPA when you consider the colours. The SN looks brown where as the 6S is definately a dark red.

Six String & the SN

6string Red IPA.JPG Capture.JPG

of mice and gods said:
Another killer question..

Assuming this is brewed with SN's house yeast. What do others think about commercially available yeast that is closest to that SN profile?
Every recipe for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale style beers in "250 Classic Clones" suggests using WLP001, Wyeast 1056 or US05. No doubt the yeast is deliberately playing no part in the flavour profile of this red IPA.

Based on the feed back I was thinking of changing the caramalt to cara-red and cold steeping the chocolate over night.

Grain Bill
----------------
4.600 kg Pale Malt (85.98%)
0.350 kg Cara-Red (6.54%)
0.250 kg Wheat Malt (4.67%)

0.150 kg Chocolate (2.8%)(cold steeped over night, strained & added to boil)

are you still around?

anyone developed something along these lines?

Share?

Indeed, haven't had the SN..... but holy moly the Six String Dark red IPA is delicious.

Back