Smugglers Gold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brisfox

Reaction score
I did a top of the range( never again) Muntons kit 10 days ago_On the box it said ferment for 6-8 days at 18-20 degs,have done all that but it won"t budge from 1022.The recomended is 1010 I recall,any ideas how to make it move.I"ve tried thus far uping the temp and jiggling the fermenter.

Yours desperatly.

Brisfox.

kick it mate, give it a boot, it might work, my first post but

I did a top of the range( never again) Muntons kit 10 days ago_On the box it said ferment for 6-8 days at 18-20 degs,have done all that but it won"t budge from 1022.The recomended is 1010 I recall,any ideas how to make it move.I"ve tried thus far uping the temp and jiggling the fermenter.

Yours desperatly.

Brisfox.
Dont give up on it yet. Can you supply more info on it ie : yeast, SG, ingredients etc. Wiser men than I may be able to help.
I have had a few brews stall, then with lots of patients and advice from AHBers got very close to recommended FG. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Ingredients were the 2 cans supplied and the yeast the the packet that came with the kit,like I said I wanted to find ouit if a to end kit(50 bucks) was that much better than doing a Coppers and adding all the bits and bobs your self...won't be doing it again.....I've got a Morgans Royal oak that I added some pale malt and some goldings and fuggles to and its just about there,1011 at the moment put them both together at the same time.

lets hope.

Brisfox.

raise the temp a little to 23-24 that should finish it off

rock the fermentor gently to rouse the yeast and i second raising the temp

kick it mate, give it a boot, it might work, my first post but

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Hillarious!!

That last line!

Post of the week!!

Bugger it mate, whack on ya steel caps and flog the shit out of it!!

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Muntons Kits come from the U.K. so may not be very fresh or stored in ideal conditions.
Just guessing the yeast may have been on the way out.

If no luck restarting then maybe pitching some new 04 or Nottingham or English Ale yeast may save the day.

Bit expensive to be chucking without a fair bit of effort first. My 2 pence worth.

Bit expensive to be chucking without a fair bit of effort first. My 2 pence worth.

Yeah, I wouldn't be chucking it without giving it abit of a kick myself.. I'd normally only do try it in secondary, but it is well worth a shot!!

Muntons 3kg kits are famed for stalling :rolleyes: , rouse the yeast, raise the temp or pitch some s04 will get it down to FG

If no luck restarting then maybe pitching some new 04 or Nottingham or English Ale yeast may save the day.
Since it's a Munton's kit, maybe Munton's Gold yeast would be consistent with what's already in there? Brewcraft stocks it, about $4 a packet.

What about racking to secondary fermentor? That might rouse the yeast a bit. But try to suck some yeast off the bottom rather than leaving it all behind.

Thanks for posting this! I bought a Smugglers Gold as an easy treat for when my Weyermann extract Hefeweisen comes out of the fermenter. I was looking forward to it, but after reading 15 pages of posts at the jimsbeerkit forum, now I'm feeling apprehensive. Still forewarned is forearmed. I'd rather know there was a potential problem than be scratching my head wondering where I'd gone wrong.

Its moving again,late last night I slapped it around abit and repitched the yeast and riased the temp to 22 degs,and after getting home this arvo and inspecting the fermenter its now happily bubbling away. I"ll chech the gravity tomorrow morning,never again though.

By the way thanks people for all your help.

Brisfox.

Let us know what the FG ends up at, and more importantly what it tastes like.

I've been Muntoned too :angry:

After two weeks in the fermenter Smugglers Gold stalled at 1021. I'd taken the precaution of pitching S04 because Muntons were blaming the problem on a dud batch of yeast from their supplier. Well I can confirm it's not the yeast!

After 4 days stalled on 1021 I brought the fermenter inside, roused the yeast, let the central heating slowly raise the temp and a day later I have bubbles.

Makes me wonder why Muntons don't do anything about this problem? It is their Premium Gold, top of the range product and there are pages and pages of forum posts about how these kits frequently stall. Won't be buying another one.

Latest posts

Back