Smart Phone Plan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all carriers apart from telstra use the optus network, same with home phones. But some carriers on the home phones can use telstra lines it will cost you more a month though. So I dont think it matters what you use unless you go with telstra.

as for apps I did have a brewzor but didnt use it much and have not put it back on my phone since I reset it.

have a look HERE! thats a few but just searching homebrew but sure there is loads more

There are 3

Telstra
optus
Vodafone

http://maps.spench.net/rf/#pos=-28.9788097...l=17&tiles=[{%22t%22%3A%22u%2Fblack%22}%2C{%22t%22%3A%22s%2Fall%22}]

Vodaphone roams on Optus when you are out of range of the Vodaphone network, which is pretty much everywhere.

To add to that, the Optus network is s**t. I dumped them 2 months ago after 14 years and haven't looked back.

Vodaphone uses the Optus network but a different and slower frequency than what Optus uses apart from CBD areas of capital cities.

frequencies

I wouldn't be surprised if Bribie has his carrier sorted and is enjoying mates rates, but maybe things have changed nowadays.

I get 200mb on Telstra for $10 which is more than I need, as most browsing happens over wifi anyway. I probably could get away with 40mb for $5, bjut it's not worth the risk.

Make sure you get a clear screen protector before you get the phone so you can put it on the moment you pull the factory screen protector off. These things are an absolute pain to put on with the slightest amounts of dust, but are really useful especially if you'll use the phone in the brewery.
Get them cheap of ebay, and don't be afraid to buy from Hong Kong, never got a bad one so far, just factor in shipping time.

I'm using a Galaxy S2 with 1.5g download a month. Don't use that much on the phone itself, probably 200mb for surfing ahb and bigfooty. I do set it as a wifi hot spot for using an android tablet when I am at work, as maintenance tradesmen are not to be trusted with the internet on nightshift where I work, even though we often have to research equipment. Does give me a tax claim though.
I don't download any music etc. Make sure to turn off background data, as it chews the batteries.
Cheers
LagerBomb

I wouldn't be surprised if Bribie has his carrier sorted and is enjoying mates rates, but maybe things have changed nowadays.

I get 200mb on Telstra for $10 which is more than I need, as most browsing happens over wifi anyway. I probably could get away with 40mb for $5, bjut it's not worth the risk.

Make sure you get a clear screen protector before you get the phone so you can put it on the moment you pull the factory screen protector off. These things are an absolute pain to put on with the slightest amounts of dust, but are really useful especially if you'll use the phone in the brewery.
Get them cheap of ebay, and don't be afraid to buy from Hong Kong, never got a bad one so far, just factor in shipping time.
That.

I ditched my voda plan after endless promises by them to improve coverage up here and switched to Telstra prepaid (simplicity plan).

15c a min to nearly anywhere I want to call, incl many overseas, no connection fee and using a $100 recharge, one year expiry or something. Every month I just pop $10 towards the 200mb of data and it lasts me the month. If it runs out a few days early, I just pop another $10 there out of the balance. Can last 6 months or something with this light usage.

Telstra have the whole coverage thing nailed, afterall they have the infrastructer to be able to do it.

Optus and Voda really only cherry pick where they can get the most customers, thats why regional places often miss out, and have to resort to Telstra.

I am with vodafone great plan but o such a s#*t coverage. I am looking to go to virgin as they are the only other phone you can use all the plan to call over seas. Was in there shop the other day and they say they run on Optus which is 98% coverage Australia wide? If you get from them on line you can get the HTC one x for $59 plus 3 months free. Which gives you 3gb and $700 calls.
Once you go smart phone you would never go back I use mine all the time and have ahb close by day and night. The one x is just a little smaller than the note so can be operated with one hand ;)

I've put this in The Pub section as it will definitely be brewing-related usage.

Being a pensioner etc I'm due to be stimulated in grand fashion between now and July - I've been looking at smart phones for a while and decided to get a Galaxy Note which is a little tablet in its own right and far better for my eyes than a smaller Galaxy or an EvilPhone etc.

View attachment 53720

Now you guys with such devices, if you use it for lightish browsing (say on the train or email or on the toilet or out in the car and need some info quickly etc) but still doing your heavier browsing on the home computer, what sort of Gigabyte limit would you be looking at? Wouldn't want to pay an extra 20 a month for something I'm not going to use.

Also do these phones have an option to pick up your own WiFi or do you have to browse exclusively through the carrier?
Any good brewing Android Apps out there that you have tried?
Slightly off topic ,but still needs to be said,realise that a 'smartphone' is a mini computer and needs good anti-virus too.Hundreds of thousands of them have been infected with malware caused by dodgy apps and dodgy link clicking.I'm happy to post some info on top of the line av's for them,but this mob is probably one of the best ,also be very careful browsing in 'hot spots',they're a prime target for 'man in the middle ' attacks,(data theft),due to non encrypted messaging. http://handheld.softpedia.com/get/Security...id-102698.shtml

Latest posts

Back