Smallest Bar Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizbang04

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just got a Coopers DIY Kit for my birthday and I am looking at setting up a bar fridge with temperature controller to do my brews as I thought it best to start right from the start so I don't stuff up brews etc.

What size bar fridges generally fit the fv? As I don't have a garage, I am looking to do this inside at home.

Thanks

I'm not sure of the dimensions, but most standard fridge/freezer type fridges will fit a fermenter inside. You may just need to remove the shelving on the door.

Having said that, you probably won't be able to fit it inside a fridge with the krausen collar, at least I can't in mine, but I don't use it or see any real benefit from using it anyway.

Not sure if this helps, but when I was in BNE, I got (from ebay) a tiny <insert commercial icecream maker's name> freezer - it was about the sizeof a square 30L fermentation vessel from bunnings.

It had the advantage of being a freezer (therefore great for cold conditioning down to 1 degree C), and there was minimal deadspace, so minimal power use to keep cool.

Cost me $30 IIRC, and some lucky brewer here got it when we moved to Tas.

Measure the height of your fermenter with airlock installed, and take the measurement and measuring tape with you to your fridge retailer.
Select one which will fit your equipment.

Or you can for get the airlock and cover the fermenter with a couple of layers of clingwrap held in place with the rubber seal from the lid or a couple of strong rubber bands.

In the long run, will you be satisfied with enough space for just one fermenter? Many on here have fridges with space for two (or more).

As to temperature control, I use a TempMate from CraftBrewer (link: http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2592 ).
There are also cheaper options such as an stc-1000 used by lots of brewers on here.
Best to look for a controller which will automatically switch from cooling to heating as needed.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Not sure if this helps, but when I was in BNE, I got (from ebay) a tiny <insert commercial icecream maker's name> freezer - it was about the sizeof a square 30L fermentation vessel from bunnings.

It had the advantage of being a freezer (therefore great for cold conditioning down to 1 degree C), and there was minimal deadspace, so minimal power use to keep cool.

OT: you let go of a custom sized fermentation fridge jobby!!! Mad I tell ya. Mad. Friggin mad.

Might be a bit of a big step from your first brew but if your going to spend a couple of hundred on a bar fridge might be worth investigating a bit more on one of the new kegerators on ebay for around $450(there are some scammers on there for $299 avoid them), has temp control built in and then you can serve from it also if you grab a keg and CO2 bottle also, save taking up space with storing bottles....

practicalfool said:
OT: you let go of a custom sized fermentation fridge jobby!!! Mad I tell ya. Mad. Friggin mad.
Got rid of my kegging equipment when we moved down here, too.

Still angry about all this, a year on.

The only thing I kept was my STC-1000 and a bottle capper.

Back on topic - less deadspace and a better efficiency fridge/freezer will go a long way to saving power bills. Save the 'good' fridge for serving, not fermenting.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
The only thing I kept was my STC-1000 and a bottle capper.
times when one image just isnt enough

insane.jpg

crazy.jpg

Lord Raja Goomba I said:

I've been looking round for something small to fit a 30L bunnings FV so just had a squizz on ebay after reading this post and found this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cadbury-Ice-Cream-Freezer-Caravell-/321325794429?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Retail_Shop_Fitting_Supplies&hash=item4ad082847d&_uhb=1
Not sure on exact dimensions (99L so its a bit smaller than your standard fermenting bar fridge), but apparently it can fit a beer keg and looks like it might just be the right size for a coopers FV or maybe even a skinnier one. Too far away for me (day trip from Sydney to pick it up wouldn't be fun), but nice and close for you wizbang.

Jimbregas said:
I've been looking round for something small to fit a 30L bunnings FV so just had a squizz on ebay after reading this post and found this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cadbury-Ice-Cream-Freezer-Caravell-/321325794429?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Retail_Shop_Fitting_Supplies&hash=item4ad082847d&_uhb=1
Not sure on exact dimensions (99L so its a bit smaller than your standard fermenting bar fridge), but apparently it can fit a beer keg and looks like it might just be the right size for a coopers FV or maybe even a skinnier one. Too far away for me (day trip from Sydney to pick it up wouldn't be fun), but nice and close for you wizbang.
Anyone know if the walls of these fridges can be stripped down and still work properly? Sorry for the slight derailment...

When I went to get my ferment fridge I brought my fermenter with me to a guy that reconditions fridges in Sydney. Was thinking bar fridge as well and discovered it wouldn't fit in any of the bar fridges. Had to get a 250L Fridge.

Latest posts

Back