Slowly Overcarbonating Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsharratt

Reaction score
Hi All, i've had a problem for the last year or so with my kegs starting to foam up after a week or two. I force carb for about 45 and the beer starts of perfect, then i attach them to my two tap beer fridge on a twin outlet tesuco reg at about 60psi pouring pressure and about 3m of beer line thru long shank taps. The weird thing is, when i use a soda stream set up and cobra tap to serve the beer i don't have the problem. What am i missing. This is driving me crazy.
Cheers Greg

Hi All, i've had a problem for the last year or so with my kegs starting to foam up after a week or two. I force carb for about 45 and the beer starts of perfect, then i attach them to my two tap beer fridge on a twin outlet tesuco reg at about 60psi pouring pressure and about 3m of beer line thru long shank taps. The weird thing is, when i use a soda stream set up and cobra tap to serve the beer i don't have the problem. What am i missing. This is driving me crazy.
Cheers Greg

Sorry do you mean 60 kpa, if not there is you problem..... and what do you mean by forcecarb at 45? Lots of other info needed like meathod, temp etc

Lots of info on here regarding balancing a keg system, I'd recommend starting Here

I think he said force carb for 45 mins??? How soon after carbonating do you try and pour a beer ?

Sorry do you mean 60 kpa, if not there is you problem..... and what do you mean by forcecarb at 45? Lots of other info needed like meathod, temp etc

Lots of info on here regarding balancing a keg system, I'd recommend starting Here

Sorry, force carconate the beer for 45 seconds, yes i do mean KPA. Been reading too many us websites this morning. Temperature when carbonating and serving sits at around 2 degrees

Greg

Are your beers actually overcarbonated, or is there just foaming when you are trying to pour?

I think he said force carb for 45 mins??? How soon after carbonating do you try and pour a beer ?

No that's 45 seconds. Didn't explain myself too well. I pour a beer a couple of hours after carbonation and it pours really well. It's a week or two later that it starts to foam up. Some people recommend turning the gas off after the beer is fully carbonated and just topping up for serving a couple of times as the head space gets bigger?

I'd probably start by getting a couple of JG straight through connectors and adding a another metre of line and see what happens, sounds like it's out of balance as it reaches full carb.

I'd probably start by getting a couple of JG straight through connectors and adding a another metre of line and see what happens, sounds like it's out of balance as it reaches full carb.

What does a JG straight through connector do?

What does a JG straight through connector do?

JG is John Guest. It's a push fit connector that is easy to install. Here's an example of one:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?um=1&h...,r:36,s:0,i:149

A straight through will just be a junction for the beer line and this goes either side. Alternatively you could use a barbed joiner, but with the John guest, you can easily use more or less line just by cutting it.

My 2 bobs worth........I was having similar problems with overcarbed/foaming. Sick of bleeding of pressure before every beer. Have an old fridge with the usual tap thru the door. My LHB guy said to start with beer cold and try 200kpa for 24hrs then bleed and reduce to 150kpa for 24hrs. Also changed to 1.2m of 5mm at about 10-12psi. I put 2m on to start with(was allowing for shorter if needed) and all is perfect at about 13psi. Maybe a little longer on carbing if a bit more head is to your liking. Worked for me.

I have gas bottle on the same level as kegs, 1.5m of line and curly hosed picnic taps.

Found the best way is to dial up to 80 kpa for a week (or alternatively force carb at 300kpa, then drop to nothing). Drop it back to 0 and serve.

If the pour slows down, I ramp it to 40 kpa to fill the headspace and then back to zero. I don't foam at all now, excellent pour and head and the right amount of carb in the beer.

And it saves me gas, rather than bleeding headspace everytime I want a beer.

I'm sort of off force-carbing at the moment - probably more the yeast reintroduced into beer issue I'm (or was) having. I think I've solved it (yes, it was my fault, not force-carb's fault - just dumbed it down to ID the problem), so I may consider going back to force carbing again.

Goomba

Does your regulator stay put on 60kpa or does it creep up if you leave it on?

Back