Single Vessel Recirculating Biabucket Trial Run

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mash in at 52, protein rest, then turn on the the heat while recirculating.

I'm just starting in AG and have obviously been reading up a lot on the process. I was under the impression that a protein rest was not needed these days as the malts we use are so highly modified the protein conversion is as good as it can be already. I thought a protein rest was a technique used in the "old days" because their grains were not malted as well as ours are today?

Is there another reason to do a protein rest?

Sorry to the OP for the off-topic

edit: Just realised you are the OP :lol:

Yep, either I don't get it, or the specs have changed... which would be unusual.

From egay listing:

Model No: MY1018

Voltage/V 24V 36V 24V 36V
Rated Power/W 250W 250W 450W 450W
No-load Current/A ≤2.2 ≤2.0 ≤2.5 ≤2.2
No-load Speed/RPM 3150 3150 4000 4000
Rated Torque/Nm 0.87 0.87 1.43 1.43
Rated Speed/RPM 2750 2750 3000 3000
Rated Current/A ≤13.4 ≤9.0 ≤24.7 ≤16.5
Eff./% ≥78 ≥78 ≥78 ≥78
reduction ratio 7.18:1
Main Application Electric Bicycle

QLDKev's site rates the 24v/250W version at something like 7Nm, and 350rpm.

Problem with Chinese stuff it the numbers are never the same from different sources. The numbers on my site are what was quoted when I got mine from Oatley.

But looking at the 24v 250w using the specs above
rated speed (ie when crushing) 2750rpm
torque 0.78nm

gear ratio 7.18

output speed 2750rpm/7.18ratio = 383rpm, run this at 12 volt = 383/24*12 = 191rpm, so pretty good.
output torque 0.78nm x 7.18ratio = 5.6nm, also pretty good.

Yee-ah.
OK this looks like a good option. Better to pay the $20 extra for the 450W for sure.
Damn I just threw out a bunch of old PC's....

Just be careful, the speed is rated at that engine as 4000rpm
so 4000 / 7.18 gearing = 557rpm
557 /24*12v = 278rpm, starting to get a big high, you may need further reduction of speed?

Also 450w load
Rated Current/A ≤24.7amps
So make sure you have a pretty decent power supply otherwise you risk over drawing it and causing it to burn out / a fire.

Looking through the MD site.

Could you not just use something like this? http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/straight-...v-dc-motor.html

This is rated at 2750rpm, and does not a a reduction gear box, so you would have to use cogs etc to reduce the speed. The beauty of the above 24v/250w motor I used was it is a direct coupling to the mill with no gearing/fan belts etc.

The one motion dynamic recommends is this combo at $149 + post. But it works out more expensive than the other 250w version. (and is 200w, not 250w)

You can get just the motor by itself here for $139 + post, and since it's rated at 180rpm I don't think you really need the controller.

Overall to me the <$90 including post motor does the job and starts with a full hopper load easily. The motion dynamics may be a better quality product, but I don't know as I've never seen or used one.

QldKev

Aha! Now I get it. It's the gearing that brings down the speed and increases the torque from the actual motor specs.
Thanks Kev.

The motion dynamics versions look to be basically the same thing as the ebay versions. And local and similarly priced.

That worm drive option does look the goods, but whether it's necessary, well that is the $70 question isn't it?

Aha! Now I get it. It's the gearing that brings down the speed and increases the torque from the actual motor specs.
Thanks Kev.

The motion dynamics versions look to be basically the same thing as the ebay versions. And local and similarly priced.

That worm drive option does look the goods, but whether it's necessary, well that is the $70 question isn't it?

Which one? That $39 one does not have a gear box, so no reduction in output speed.

That worm drive they have sold a few to brewers on here, but besides the interest when purchasing them there has not been a lot of discussion I have seen. If you search for "motion dynamics" you should come across a few threads.

why i like the drill :)

3 year replacement warranty
-mills grain
-use it with a hole saw to cut holes in SS vessels like butter
-drives screws and bolts into stuff
-mixes stuff
-plug and play easy...

but each to their own, a fully set up proper motor would be nice as well

@ Bribie G mine is variable speed on the trigger

OK thanks to Kev's advice I believe I have settled on a motor and a power supply.

How does this look:

Motor:
MY1016Z
24 Volt DC Operation
Permanent Magnet DC Motor
No Load RPM: 3850
No Load Current: <2.2 Amps
Rated Wattage: 250W (0.33 Horsepower)
Rated Load RPM: 3000
Torque (Nm): 0.80
Rated Current: 13.4 Amps
Efficiency: 78%
Reduction Ratio: 9.78:1
Direct Drive (No Free Spooling)
Suitable for Forward and Reverse Operation
Base Mount Model
$79 + freight

ATX Power supply:
Output: 300W maximum
+5V+3.3V: 180W total output
+5V: 30A
+12V: 20A
-12V: 0.5A
+3.3V: 18A
+5 VSB: 2A

Connectors:
1 x 24 Pin ATX Connector, can be made to 20 Pin
1 x 4 Pin 12V MB Connector
3 x Standard 12V HDD / CD Connector
1 x FDD Connector
2 x SATA Power Connector
$17 + freight (used)

So I calculate:
3000rpm / 9.78 ratio / 24 x 12V = 153.37rpm
0.8Nm x 9.78 = 7.82Nm torque

Looks like a decent motor, and a good size power supply.

I was going to say for a power supply if you don;t have a spare old pc one, something like this, or it's big brother

Now you just need a cheap 12v switch to switch the green wire to earth on the PSU to operate the mill

QldKev

Looks like a decent motor, and a good size power supply.

I was going to say for a power supply if you don;t have a spare old pc one, something like this, or it's big brother

Now you just need a cheap 12v switch to switch the green wire to earth on the PSU to operate the mill

QldKev
Yeah I looked at those AC/DC converters too. But managed to find a SFF PC p/s that did what I needed for cheap, so all good.
I'm hoping it has a switch on it, many ATX power supplies do (the ebay pic gave no clues). If not then yes, a switch for the green wire.

Mike, I brew in a rented apartment like you, but have never considered milling grain in there due to the dust problem.

How do you control it? I'm getting to the point where I need to buy bags and mill my own grain.

Cheers,

FB

Mike, I brew in a rented apartment like you, but have never considered milling grain in there due to the dust problem.

How do you control it? I'm getting to the point where I need to buy bags and mill my own grain.

Cheers,

FB
It's barely an issue. Yes there's abit of dust but nothing to cry about. Do it on the kitchen floor and a quick wipe after is all that's needed.
I have a patio too if it became a problem, but it hasn't been so never needed to go outside.

I'm just starting in AG and have obviously been reading up a lot on the process. I was under the impression that a protein rest was not needed these days as the malts we use are so highly modified the protein conversion is as good as it can be already. I thought a protein rest was a technique used in the "old days" because their grains were not malted as well as ours are today?

Is there another reason to do a protein rest?
From what I've read a protein rest is not needed. But many on here report better head retention if doing one. I also find it much easier to dough in at 50-ish than at 65-ish. At 65 you get lots of dough-balls (balls of dry malt). At 52 you get almost none or it is very easy to break them up.
So my logic is, it might be good but is definitely not bad, and makes mashing easier.

It's barely an issue. Yes there's abit of dust but nothing to cry about. Do it on the kitchen floor and a quick wipe after is all that's needed.
I have a patio too if it became a problem, but it hasn't been so never needed to go outside.

Cheers, Looks like there is a grain mill in my future then!

Hey guys,
I'm not sure if I mentioned this in the forum or only to people that rang for the AHB special, but if you want just the Aussie Homebrewer Motor alone for $99 you just use the coupon code AHB at the checkout. It has to be capitals. And you wont pay 139 for the motor, only $99

The link for the actual product is here:

http://www.motiondynamics.com.au/worm-driv...0nm-torque.html

Latest posts

Back