Sigh.. Infection I Think

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you suggesting that if a brew has finished fermentation it cant get infected? I assure you this is not the case... :blink:
Surely a fully fermented wort will be a little less inviting to nasty micro's though? I guess it depends on where the beer's heading next...

Surely a fully fermented wort will be a little less inviting to nasty micro's though? I guess it depends on where the beer's heading next...
Nasty microbes don't choose where they land, they are carried in the air. Keeping things clean and sanitary is the best way to combat infections.

I guess it depends on where the beer's heading next...

stinks of 'yeah whatever' to me... nothing replaces good handeling and transfer practices, there are little to no place in a HB environment that can allow us to get complacent about good practice. you havnt got beer till it's cold and going down the throat with a fu_k yeah :icon_drool2:

Depends on the microbes mate. Fermenting beer is also not inviting to many on account of the active yeast but there's still a few that can get through in either case and any of those are enough to ruin a beer. Certainly wild yeast can find enough to eat in 'finished' beer to make your statement redundant.

To my mind the only reason a beer might be less susceptible to infection at the end of ferment is because of the alcohol content.

Depends on the microbes mate. Fermenting beer is also not inviting to many on account of the active yeast but there's still a few that can get through in either case and any of those are enough to ruin a beer. Certainly wild yeast can find enough to eat in 'finished' beer to make your statement redundant.

To my mind the only reason a beer might be less susceptible to infection at the end of ferment is because of the alcohol content.
+1 manticle,there's quite a few spoilage bacteria that are ethanol,hop resin,and ph tolerant ;) Cleanliness at all stages after the wort boil is the message :beer:

Back