Sierra Navada Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that in one Brew Strong episode, Jamil Zainasheff spoke of his ANHC experience and commented quickly but positively on LCPA being like SNPA "only better".
I had heard that, too, but was after other opinions.

Hay guys yes i will be doing all grain. So to all that had replied thanks a million for the help as there is a wealth of info here. I will be buying a few bottles at the end of the week and i might also buy a few LCPA to try side by side. I wont be giving this a shot till the end of the month when i have a free fermenter as all 3 are been used at the moment. Again thanks

Well after nearly a year in Yankland, many SNPAs drunk on both coasts, I would choose a fresh LCPA for my taste buds every time.

SNPA is pretty ubiquitous on the east coast now too. Along with Sam Adams Boston Lager. People even just say "give me a green label".

Those two are almost like the VB and XXXX of beers here: bloody everywhere, you can rely on having one or the other at every pub. And I'm sure either beer would kick in the teeth of most Aussie swill drinkers and they would hate it. Yanks brew crap beer after all.

Pale Ale doesn't even seem to be a very big style here. It's all about the IPAs.

I really enjoy the Stone PA, but then again I don't think those guys could brew a crap beer if they tried. I'm a fanboi.

Pale Ale doesn't even seem to be a very big style here. It's all about the IPAs.

That is interesting Zizzle, seems to me, the Yank taste buds aregravitating towards IPA, much the same as a hop head home brewer does.

cheers

Browndog

About a year ago I found a localish source for SNPA & I was excited to be able to sample what has in my experience been touted as epitomising the APA style.

OMG! You must tell me this source that you speak of! Am an expat. in Sydney, and haven't had this in donkeys years!

Platinum Cellars in Bellevue Hill had a few in the fridge yesterday. Personally I think you can get a much better APA for your money.

Kabooby :)

I got a bottle of SNPA from one of the decent bottle shops in West End. While SN never exported here because they wanted the beer under refridgeration the whole time, I picked one up warm off the shelf next to the window. About half way to the best before date, it lacked the aroma and flavour intensity of Cascade that you'd expect from the many recipes floating around. Saying that, i'd prefer to try it fresh to make a fair comparison to LCPA which i've had a few of at varying points in aging and as with APAs, fresher is better.

OMG! You must tell me this source that you speak of! Am an expat. in Sydney, and haven't had this in donkeys years!

Camperdown Cellars on Darlinghurst Rd nr the Cross has them... but they are near $10 per bottle...

ED: and they were too close to the fluoros for me to buy one at that price.

I like that in one Brew Strong episode, Jamil Zainasheff spoke of his ANHC experience and commented quickly but positively on LCPA being like SNPA "only better".

I have never forked over the wad of cash when I have seen SNPA, so I have no no idea other than the interepretations of others, including one American friend who called it Colledge Juice or something along those lines because it is so cheap there.

Problem is LCPA has declined of late. I noticed it on tap at the Freo Brewery, followed a couple months later in the bottle. the hop flavour has changed significantly - somewhat rough melony rather than flowery/citrisy. Hoping its only temporary. It makes you wonder if they are still using cascade flowers, or they've subbed something out.

The LC tap beers have lost their cascade smack in the face and the stubbies taste like a totally different beer now.
They still taste worlds better than commercials but IMHO LCPA and LCBA(my ex favourite) have both changed so much that I don't have a favourite beer anymore.

SNPA is OK but for the bucks there are heaps of other beers out there to try or even better... brew!

I hope everyone has their signature on the craft brewing fair go petition to make good beer affordable and even more importantly - survive.

Pop into your trusted homebrew shop and buy some 2007 Cascade (while stocks last as they say). The 2007 crop was, and is, truly sensational.
SNPA is a very refined and very well balanced beer (when you can get it) and deserving of its position as the benchmark APA, the APA style is derived from the English Pale Ale and I understand that there is still a catergory in the AABC that describes Australian Pale Ale. A highly hopped EPA would be poo-poo'd even more than a highly hopped OzPA. Just as an EPA should be redolent of hop aroma without blowing your nose out so should an APA, you need to be able to identify the components of the aroma and taste and not be smacked out by dominant charcters that may well mask some major underlying problems.
Suggestion only, knock up a fairly low IBU APA with a damn fine shot of Cascade at the end, say 8gm/l.

K

It was a nice fresh keg of LCPA though. If only it was mandatory for pubs to serve it that fresh.

Awesome brew this one.

Tried it in transit just a few days ago:

IMG00043-20090115-1940.jpg

and am sure from the pic of the barmaid that served me, you can tell where it was taken : ;)

IMG00040-20090115-1914.jpg

Ahh... SNPA orientated ML as opposed to the old SNAFU orientated ML.
What a difference a day makes..this Obama guy is working very quickly...

K

Suggestion only, knock up a fairly low IBU APA with a damn fine shot of Cascade at the end, say 8gm/l.

K

160g of late cascade in a 20litre batch :icon_drool2: Sounds the business!!

I got mine from one of the US boards were the author claims he rang the brewer. I've made this twice and it's a cracker.

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/10/2008
Batch Size: 40.00 L
Brewer: JD
Boil Size: 44.00 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 88.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 93.33 %
0.50 kg Crystal (Joe White) (115.0 EBC) Grain 6.67 %
30.00 gm Magnum [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 21.6 IBU
30.00 gm Pearle [6.30 %] (25 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
60.00 gm Cascade 07 [6.80 %] (10 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
30.00 gm Cascade 07 [6.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 tsp koppafloc (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
20.00 gm PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Americal ale Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.81 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.21 %
Bitterness: 38.0 IBU Calories: 487 cal/l
Est Color: 14.7 EBC Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: My Mash Total Grain Weight: 7.50 kg
Sparge Water: 29.01 L Grain Temperature: 20.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 78.0 C TunTemperature: 20.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

My Mash Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Step Add 22.50 L of water at 73.0 C 67.0 C
15 min Mashout Heat to 76.0 C over 15 min 76.0 C

Just tried it - not even fully carbonated yet and this is an absolute cracker! Thanks Razz.

Latest posts

Back