Show Me Your Darkies! Looking For Dark Beer Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put down a Petesbrew Toucan looking foward to watching the fermentation...

Coopers Stout
Coopers Dark Ale
500g brown sugar
both kit yeasts
mix to 23L
It's someone elses toucan. Can't remember who, I only pped the brown sugar and passed it on for all to share!

Totally vouch for Windsor in a porter or stout. It's awesome.

Does the brown sugar fully ferment pete?
Pretty bloody sure it does, Tim.
You can take hints off what others have done with grain & malt additions and keep improving with this recipe.
Just don't add mulberries.... didn't work too good for me.

Awesome.. Why brown sugar and not dextrose? Does it change the flavour?

From my (admittedly anecdotal) evidence - yes, it tends to deepen the flavour, i love using brown sugar in brown and stouts, and normally I hate using any sugar, dextrose or otherwise, in beers.

Goomba
Yeah, it's kinda caramelised somewhat, so it'll add some flavour where dex will only add alcohol.
I only use dextrose in bottling. Sugar I mainly use in strong belgians. If you go check out the asian supermarkets you can pick up some awesome palm & coconut sugars as well for experimenting.

brown sugar is just regular processed white sugar with molasses added to it, they go to all that effort to remove it all just to add it back in :rolleyes:

brown sugar is just regular processed white sugar with molasses added to it, they go to all that effort to remove it all just to add it back in :rolleyes:
Love AHB, You learn something new everyday! :icon_chickcheers:
Tastes nice on porridge too.

It's funny, because I've used molasses and treacle (separately mind you) in dark/stout beers. I find you have to back off the roasted grains in a stout when adding molasses or that burnt tasting starts to get overpowering. When balanced with the effect of roasted grain (I even did a dark beer without any roasted grain, just a tad of choc), it works really well.

Goomba

Back