Show Me The Hop!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavoj

Reaction score
I m starting to make IPA and the most important thing is hop(duh) still i need to find out the best combos of hop since i haven't have luck finding any guide if you can help me it will be great and ty i hope it help some new guys too
(use number for combo so you don't need to use full name)
1 G.hallertau
2 amarillo
3 centennial
4 chinook
5 east kend golding
6 fuggle
7 sterling
8 czech saaz
9 cascade
10 G.magnum
11 G. spaltz
12 columbus
13 G. tettnang
14 galena
15 MT. hood

ty in advance hope it help not only me but alot more ppl

For an american IPA go with 3, 4, 9
For an English IPA go with 5 and 6

cheers

Browndog

You probably want to bitter with a magnum or centennial, something with low cohumulone. Like browndog said, you can't go wrong with cascade, centennial, columbus, maybe a bit of amarillo in there with the dry hop.

"You want the hop, you can't handle the hop.........."

Cheers

Paul

I m starting to make IPA and the most important thing is hop(duh) still i need to find out the best combos of hop since i haven't have luck finding any guide if you can help me it will be great and ty i hope it help some new guys too
(use number for combo so you don't need to use full name)
1 G.hallertau
2 amarillo
3 centennial
4 chinook
5 east kend golding
6 fuggle
7 sterling
8 czech saaz
9 cascade
10 G.magnum
11 G. spaltz
12 columbus
13 G. tettnang
14 galena
15 MT. hood

ty in advance hope it help not only me but alot more ppl

English IPA: 5,6 as a combo - 6 for bittering, 5 for flavour, late aroma and dry hop
American IPA: 9,2,3,4 as a combo. Haven't tried C but it might fit too. Bitter with centennial, flavour with amarillo and chinook, late/dry hop with all three. Flavour and late with cascade or use in place of centennial.

13 and 1 and 8 go very well together and on their own in German/European styles but that's not appropriate here. I haven't tried 11 but it's considered very appropriate in some German styles, especially alts.

Haven't tried 10 but have been told it's a great neutral bittering hop.

Haven't tried the others, know very little about them.

I'm going to disagree very strongly; any idiot can just keep cramming hops into a beer. It takes a skilled brewer to make a balanced IPA; that goes doubly for an imperial IPA.
Good rule of thumb is that like goes with like, English with English, American with American for AIPA and AIIPA, tho there is lots of crossover, many American hops have a lot of English ancestry. As a general rule I would avoid German hops late and in large amounts in an IPA (that includes American versions i.e. Mt Hood and Stirling), the obvious exception being Magnum (either US or German), it must be one of the best bittering hops on the market.

You might find this handy View attachment hopunion_variety_databook.pdf It's one of the best references on hops going

Possibly my favourite late hop for IPA would be Stryian Golding, it and Fuggle are the two I would seriously consider for a single hop IPA (Bittering, Taste and Aroma)

MHB
Snip
I haven't tried 11 but it's considered very appropriate in some German styles, especially alts.
Haven't tried 10 but have been told it's a great neutral bittering hop.
Haven't tried the others, know very little about them.
Manticle you really should try Magnum, and that's being a bit harsh on Spalt, it's one of the four Nobel Hops, the cornerstone varieties of German brewing

M

Manticle you really should try Magnum, and that's being a bit harsh on Spalt, it's one of the four Nobel Hops, the cornerstone varieties of German brewing

M

I'll give magnum a shot at some point. My understanding is that it's a great neutral bittering hop, a little like Northern brewer can be (Northern Brewer I have used and am a fan of).

As for spalt - wasn't intending to be harsh to the little spalter. I just can't speak about it with any authority as I've never used it but there was no negative assessment. I do have some kind of obsession with brewing altbiers every so often and tweaking the recipe - usually use tett - so spalt use is definitely on the cards.

My experience with noble hops generally is very positive. I haven't met one I didn't like unless used inappropriately and tett is up the top of my list of favourite hops. Drinking an alt right now loaded with it.

We can agree on Tetnanger, absolutely my first choice for a light summery lager, Spalt is similar, not as spicy but to my mind one of the best possible choices for a German wheat beer, its cousin Strissellspalt would be my first choice for a Belgian (well anything really).

In terms of neutral bittering hops
German Beers Northern Brewer and Magnum
English Beers Target and Pilgrim
US Beers US Magnum, Simco and Warrior
Australian POR (up to ~30 IBU) any of the above and add Galaxy and Topaz (yum).
But Balance, Balance and Balance, guess I'm just over beers that leave you feeling like you've been slapped around by a hop vine dipped in alcohol I want Drinkability!

MHB

We can agree on Tetnanger.......................

[snip]

But Balance, Balance and Balance, guess I'm just over beers that leave you feeling like you've been slapped around by a hop vine dipped in alcohol I want Drinkability!

MHB

We can agree on that as well.

Whether malt forward or hop forward, bitter or sweet, I need balance in my beer.

My only experience with target is actually as a late (flavour, aroma and dry) hop combined with EKG in a hoppy ESB (based on Youngs special London ale) but I have a fair bit of it and a fair few UK yeasts so I'll be playing around with it. It's usually viewed as a bittering hop as far as I understand but does work great late/dry in this particular recipe. Also have a first year target rhizome poking its head around as well as a second year Kent Goldings so it will be interesting to see what homegrown brings to the mix if/when they crop.

We can agree on Tetnanger, absolutely my first choice for a light summery lager.

MHB

Ideal for Kolsch as well (as taught first hand by Master Yoda Ray in Bulli).

Im not going to give my opinions on hop varieties, but i will type 3 letters........ EKG.... and lets not forget target and challenger!

IPA is an english style to me. using american hops makes it another style...... that to be honest kinda shits me! Why do the yanks get their own bastardised versions listed as official styles? Australia, NZ...... hey we all make good beers? doesnt mean we need to re-write history does it!

anyway... bitch over

IPA to me is a bit like Pilsner. I have found that bittering with a high alpha hop and adding lots of hops late to try and get the hoppiness just ends up with an unstable flavour and aroma that is not right compared to comercial examples. i have made a few IPA's like this and am always disapointed.

I have found with Pilsners, bittering with a lot of low alpha noble hops for a 40 min boil and a touch (1/2g per liter) at 5 min or so makes the most ballanced, hoppy, stable enjoyable beer. I think the same would apply for IPA.

An IPA should be bitter, not too malty and hoppy but not like lupin soup. I can preety miuch guarantee you this method will work if you bitter it with a 40 min addition of EKG and add a bit of styrians late for the pleasure hit!

Thats what my next IPA will be.

cheers

IPA is an english style to me. using american hops makes it another style...... that to be honest kinda shits me! Why do the yanks get their own bastardised versions listed as official styles? Australia, NZ...... hey we all make good beers? doesnt mean we need to re-write history does it!
because the BJCP is an american organisation? ;)

I say we push for an Australian IPA style, POR for bittering, galaxy, topaz and summer saaz... except that it will probably come out like a big fruit bomb just like an American IPA, oh well.

Anyway the American hops are really unique, as are the british hops, and the other classic European hops, and they're all different from each other, there's no harm in having different styles based around them is there?

because the BJCP is an american organisation? ;)

Well what do ya know.......... they have to stuff everything dont they. They make a "version" with local hops and BANG..... its a style. We could make a pilsner with Aussie hops but it wont become an Australian Pilsner will it.

What a load of shit........... sorry but hey..... its just my opinion

:ph34r: Ducks and waits for C hop retaliation :lol:

I say we push for an Australian IPA style, POR for bittering, galaxy, topaz and summer saaz... except that it will probably come out like a big fruit bomb just like an American IPA, oh well.

Who says it has to be hoppy?

5.5% ABV, ale malt, a bit of caramalt, 10% wheat to dry it out, hop it to 40 IBU with summer Saaz or Aussie grown Cluster at 40 min and a 5 min addition of galaxy.

mash cool at 64 and use a dry english ale yeast like 1275........ YUM

An IPA should be bitter, not too malty and hoppy but not like lupin soup. I can preety miuch guarantee you this method will work if you bitter it with a 40 min addition of EKG and add a bit of styrians late for the pleasure hit!

cheers

IPA is traditionally dry hopped though no?

Definitely agree with you on getting that subtle balance between some malt, flavoursome hoppiness, noticeable bitterness without being over the top in any of them.

My recent attempt that I was pretty happy with was all EKG - bitter, flavour and dry hop. Decent amount of crystal, mainly pale malt. Will be brewing again with MO and British crystal but I was very impressed.

I guess once you have a decent base going you can tweak with different yeasts, hops and even specs. From memory mine was 1099 but my fridge has a nice variety of other UK yeasts to choose from.

BTW - while the yanks may have bastardised English styles for their own, we (commercially at least) seem to do a great job of bastardising their bastardised versions.

We need some good beers made with aussie hops, aussie malts and aussie native bush food ingredients made for the aussie climate. Barons have had a crack but we need more of it.

IPA is traditionally dry hopped though no?

Traditionally it was made to a higher bitterness as hops are like an anticeptic mesure in beer. More bitterness ment less spoilt beer. It needed this for the long trip from england to India on the ships. All the rock and roll on the boat tended to stir it up and hence caused higher attenuation of the beer on the trip.

Hence the higher alc and bitterness................. i doubt they dry hopped back then....... traditionally.

AIPA........... yeah the yanks like to over do everything, hops will be the same so they dry hop.

I cant say the poms didnt dry hop way back when the beer was being carted to india but hey...... can you see them opening barels on a ship and slipping hops in to it?

cheers

I like to add a touch of EKG to American IPAs to add a touch of earthiness and a different type of citrus character. It really works.

As for the comments about balance in AIPAs. The only balance you need is enough malt to support the hops. What you don't need is the buckets of crystal that some people add. Use a quality base malt (I like Marris Otter or Golden Promise) and anything more than 5% crystal malt in an AIPA is too much unless you are mashing very low. Aim for about 1055 to 1065 OG, get your IBUs up between 50 and 70 depending on your tastes and use LOTS of hops in the last 15 minutes and plenty of dry hops.

Well what do ya know.......... they have to stuff everything dont they. They make a "version" with local hops and BANG..... its a style. We could make a pilsner with Aussie hops but it wont become an Australian Pilsner will it.

What a load of shit........... sorry but hey..... its just my opinion

:ph34r: Ducks and waits for C hop retaliation :lol:

Heh you probably have a point there. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a massive fan of hoppy English beers, EKG and styrians are definitely my favourite hops, though I've yet to try them in an English IPA. I just think there's a place for American styles with American hops.

I'm actually interested in the idea of an Aussie IPA, need to play around with some recipe ideas. :beer:

Traditionally it was made to a higher bitterness as hops are like an anticeptic mesure in beer. More bitterness ment less spoilt beer. It needed this for the long trip from england to India on the ships. All the rock and roll on the boat tended to stir it up and hence caused higher attenuation of the beer on the trip.

Hence the higher alc and bitterness................. i doubt they dry hopped back then....... traditionally.

AIPA........... yeah the yanks like to over do everything, hops will be the same so they dry hop.

I cant say the poms didnt dry hop way back when the beer was being carted to india but hey...... can you see them opening barels on a ship and slipping hops in to it?

cheers

I wasn't alive at the time so I can't say for sure. Can only go from my reading. Great British beers and How to Brew Them suggests that quite a few beers (not just IPAs) were originally very high gravity, very highly hopped, aged for a long time (as in 10-12 months+) then dry hopped for freshness. Presumably the high hopping helped preserve them but the bitterness integrated with the ageing.

Dry hopping is common to some beers traditionally (again from my reading - I'm only 35 so exactly what happened in 1876 I'm not sure of) - I've read of saisons and alts being dry hopped although not commonly.

I think because the American grown hops are so high aa and so in your face and because they are always trying to build one better/bigger that we associate a lot of those techniques with them but they didn't invent them. They just resurrected them and made them MASSIVE!!

All this is interpretation of someone else's interpretation of history of course and in general - while I've tried some very tasty US beers and while I think that their spearheading of the craftbrew market is great - I like a lot of single hopped, balanced type beers like English Bitters, German alts, bocks and dunkels and so on. I don't think every beer has to be high octane hop soup to be wonderful - even hoppy beers don't have to punch me in the tit to remind me I'm drinking them.

Any idiot can throw tons of hops at something and hope that extremity justifies/covers up any other faults just as any fool can mash with 3 kg of crytsal and pretend the resulting cloy- sump is even remotely drinkable.

Judicious use of loads of hops OR loads of malt or both together can result in marvels my tongue needs a bit more of.

Last thing I want to do is quote brewing text at someone when I have no specific experience (speaking historicallly) of it by the way but my experience of some current commercial UK styles suggests hoppiness and dry hopping are not unique to the US - just more subtly carried out.

Last thing I want to do is quote brewing text at someone when I have no specific experience (speaking historicallly) of it by the way but my experience of some current commercial UK styles suggests hoppiness and dry hopping are not unique to the US - just more subtly carried out.

Reading back i may have come across a bit agressive in my comments........ thats where its difficult on a forum..... no sound of voice etc etc to counter balance what you say.

Im a bit worried i have taken this off topic so i will keep this short and sweet.

Above quoted text...... agreed, a lot of modern cask ales are dry hopped in the barrel.......... hell I do it too! But as per my previous comment about dry hopping of origional IPA's traveling from England to India....... which is what IPA should be..... i cant prove they didnt dry hop them...... but i would be very interested in any proof that they did. When you think about it its not a bad idea.

Im not after an argument on IPA...... just more interested in the true style of IPA...... and hence what hops to use, and when, as per origional post

My beef with yanks bastardising styles and putting an "A" in front of them doesnt really stand on topic so i will drop that from the discussion! :)

On topic........ IPA is one of those simple beers when you drink it, like pilsner or weisen, but so hard to get really right when you make it yourself. Easy to get close............... hard to get it bang on!

A challenge he says :)

cheers

Latest posts

Back