Show Me The Hop!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading back i may have come across a bit agressive in my comments........ thats where its difficult on a forum..... no sound of voice etc etc to counter balance what you say.

Not interpreted as aggressive by me in any case. Interesting discussion on interpretation of beer styles etc- yes.

Im a bit worried i have taken this off topic so i will keep this short and sweet.
Original question has been answered pretty well anyway so OT is not so bad.

Above quoted text...... agreed, a lot of modern cask ales are dry hopped in the barrel.......... hell I do it too! But as per my previous comment about dry hopping of origional IPA's traveling from England to India....... which is what IPA should be..... i cant prove they didnt dry hop them...... but i would be very interested in any proof that they did. When you think about it its not a bad idea.

Yeah I was talking about my reading of original IPAs being dry hopped. Even some early porters and stouts were supposedly dry hopped (I'm talking 1700-1800s)

Im not after an argument on IPA...... just more interested in the true style of IPA...... and hence what hops to use, and when, as per origional post

Argument? none here.

As mentioned - my interest is in the history as well. The wide, diverse and varied origins and histories of different beers are fascinating, at least to beer nerds.

Assuming that they dry hopped the IPAs before being loaded onto the ships, the voyage through the mediterranean, the canal and around arabia on a rocking ship should've definitely given the ales plenty of time and energy to mature. And cellar temps would be cold on those ships I reckon. + their original intent was to water the brews down in India prior to being served, so dry hopping doesn't sound all that unfeasible as any harsh characters would've been definitely diluted. Just writing aloud here.

And I guess all that Indian food would've prepared the drinkers well and good for spicy hoppy ales ;)

I hope I wasn't misinterpreted either, I find it hard to be eloquent and concise even while sober. :D And its always good to see constructive conversations from both Manticle and Tony in the one thread, group hug! :party:

Latest posts

Back