Should I use Sorachi Ace in an IPA? (along with Galaxy)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galactaphonic

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a Sorachi Ace and Galaxy IPA this weekend but I'm starting to chicken out of using the Sorachi Ace. After having been through a bit of an experimental phase, I'm keen to make something that is definitely drinkable and Sorachi Ace seems to divide the critics.

Anyone have any thoughts? Should I go Sorachi Ace or ditch it for something else?

For reference, here's the recipe I was going to do:

2kg Pilsen Liquid Malt Extract
2kg Light Dry Malt Extract
0.5kg Caramalt

30gm Galaxy Boil 20 minutes
30gm Sorachi Ace Boil 20 minutes
30gm Galaxy Boil 5 minutes
30gm Sorachi Ace Boil 5 minutes
30gm Galaxy Dry Hop 7 days
30gm Sorachi Ace Dry Hop 7 days

I say go for it. SA has a strong lemon flavour- quite unique from the hops I've tasted. Would get along well with the passionfruit/grapefuit flavour of Galaxy I reckon.

just to throw an opposing view.. I'd say no.. but

try this first.

Get one hop pellet of galaxy and one of SA, grind then with your thumb into your palm, then cup your hands and take a few really long whiffs through your thumbs, get a feel for the aroma, if you find it pleasant, a %50/50 may be ok..

repeat adding one or the other, say another SA Pellet... repeat.

Its a good way of quickly getting to know aroma and blends of varying amounts, of course, doesn't always translate to the beer in a linear fashion but you get a feel for it after a while.

Good luck

Used SA recently for the first time in a saison. Very happy with it. I could see it replacing something like citra in an IPA. As for your recipe I don't have any experience in using that combo so no real help sorry.

Thanks for the replies guys. I chickened out and used Amarillo instead of Sorachi Ace, I did use the Sorachi Ace for bittering as well as a 15g addition 20 minutes into the boil in the hope there would be a very mild background character. Hopefully will work out OK...

Latest posts

Back