should I rouse the hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

BIAB-ER
Reaction score
Fermentation had reduced to next to nothing, so I put the hops into the saurus, last night and they dropped to the bottom straight away, I purged with CO2 and sealed it up.
In the morning I checked and it had a thin layer of yeast on top, now (in the evening) it has a thick layer on top.
I'm trying to avoid O2 pick-up as much as possible.
Do you think I should open it up and stir, then re-purge? or leave it alone?

Attachments

• P1030825 - Copy.JPG
    P1030825 - Copy.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 162
Can you connect a gas supply to the bottom of the FV? Blast a load of CO2 to rouse everything

not without making something, it won't happen during this brew.

A layer of stuff on top of the beer doesn't sound too good. Are you sure it isn't infected?

Commercially with conicals dry hops are always roused, in some cases constantly by a pump, but these are big fermentors. You say the layer forming is yeast, if it got bigger (rather than slimier) then you are probably correct, I reckon the roused the yeast that not quite finished so it woke up and got to it. Just rock the sauus back and forth a few times a day or more if you can, contact is really important.

Rousing hops is fine, esp if you yeast off. If you do with a spoon from the top, CO2 will come out and there won’t be much concern from oxidation.

Latest posts

Back