Should I Bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGuzzle

Reaction score
hey,
I put i batch of "Corte's Mexion" in the fementer on tuesday, over the past week the airlock hasn't been bubbleing so i thought it was one of those beers that didnt bubble, i checked the gravity of it on saturday and it was 1014, ususlly by now it would be close to bottle but this one still had a high reading, when i screwed the lid back on the fememter the airlock started to bubble, im starting to think the the fememter lid wasnt sealed tight enought for the first 5 days, i now have the gravity down to 1010 but it has now been brewing for almost 7 days, should i keep it in there and see it i can get the gravity down to 1004 or less of should i just tip the batch? :(

7 days is not long at all in the fermenter!
How did the hydrometere samples taste? They'll be green, but if there are no off flavours etc, don't tip it.

There's nothing wrong with leaving a brew for at least 2 weeks in the fermenter. It's my usual habit, and some of them have been in there for 4 weeks before bottling.

Never tip beer unless it makes you want to hurl when you taste it.

Wait untill the gravity is the same for 3 days in a row then bottle it.

most people on this forum chuck the airlock because they are unreliable, dont dump the brew, i leave mine in the fermenter for 2 weeks before i start checking the gravity and most of mine finish about the 1012 mark, this all depends on ingredients and what yeast you have used.

It's my usual habit, and some of them have been in there for 4 weeks before bottling.

so it doesnt matter really how long i leave it in the fememter for? i have always been under the understanding lave it for about 6 days, (untill the gravity stays the same for 2 days) and then bottle it as quick as i can?

this all depends on ingredients and what yeast you have used.

I usually use cane sugar and just the standard yeast which comes with the batch, i thought never to bottle unless under 1004 but you saying if it stays the same for 3 days just bottle it anyways? would it change the taste of the beer if i botttle with such a high gravity?

so it doesnt matter really how long i leave it in the fememter for? i have always been under the understanding lave it for about 6 days, (untill the gravity stays the same for 2 days) and then bottle it as quick as i can?

Well, yeah, it does matter, but anything up to about 3 to 4 weeks will present no problems at all.
You'll find your vigourous primary fermentation will be over within the first week, sometimes as quickly as 3 to 4 days.
The yeast will still continue to slowly work in cleaning up the by products of fermentation, and you'll end up with cleaner and clearer beer if you are patient.
If your fermenter is sealed properly, the airlock will also slowly continue to bubble as dissolved Co2 comes out of solution. That's not a sign of fermentation. Airlocks are notoriously unreliable as an indicator of fermentationor otherwise. Your hydrometer is your friend, and is the only reliable tool to use.
I'd suggest for now you might consider leaving it for a bout 2 weeks, and if your hydro readings are stable over 2 to 3 days and within your target area at that time, you're right to go.
Leaving the beer longer that about 6 weeks might (it's only a possiblility, not a certainty) give rise the yeast beginning to break down, a process called autolysis, which will give you nasty flavours etc.

Well, yeah, it does matter, but anything up to about 3 to 4 weeks will present no problems at all.

so when would be the best time to add my clearing agent? still 24 hours before i bottle? if i keep it in to fememter for an extra week will it cut a week off the secoundry fememt in the bottle, like usually i would drink them for 3 weeks after i bottle if i leave it in the fememter for an extra week do i have to wait 3 weeks after i bottle to drink them?

so when would be the best time to add my clearing agent? still 24 hours before i bottle? if i keep it in to fememter for an extra week will it cut a week off the secoundry fememt in the bottle, like usually i would drink them for 3 weeks after i bottle if i leave it in the fememter for an extra week do i have to wait 3 weeks after i bottle to drink them?
'Secondary' fermentation is usually performed in a second fermenter, the advantage is that you have removed the beer from the yeast and can leave it in the fermenter for a longer period to 'condition'.

Bottle conditioning is when yeast eats sugar you provide at bottling time to produce the required level of carbonation.

Even if you condition the beer longer in the primary or secondary fermenter you will need to leave it bottle condition for the same period of time - so yes, you need to wait longer, but in general the result is a better beer.
You would also add your finnings/'clearing agent' at the usual time - usually shortly before you bottle - and as you cold-crash the beer (if you have a fridge to put the fermenter in to do this).

sweet u have hit the nail on the head for me!! do you guys usually sanitize you hydrometre evertime you use it before it touchs the beer? or just a good wash before you use it is good enough?

do you guys usually sanitize you hydrometre evertime you use it before it touchs the beer? or just a good wash before you use it is good enough?
Do you value a full batch of beer more than the little bit of effort required to sanitize anything that comes in contact with your beer? ;)

Cleanliness and sanitation are two of the most important aspects of producing good quality beer on a regular and consistent basis.

I think you'll also find that most people who use a hydrometer decant a small sample of their beer into a testing tube rather than floating the hydro ontop anyway - also allows for taste-testing too. :)

Back