Short time frame help needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hathro

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I brewed NigeP62's 62 Black IPA and pitched the yeast on 8/6/2014 (7 days ago). The OG was 1.072 and the current gravity is 1.030 (sample tastes amazing). Sitting in my fermentation fridge at 18°C). The problem is that I need this beer on tap, ready to go for 28/06/2014. My question/concern is:
  • I've used 1 pack of US-05 dry. Online yeast calc's are saying this isn't enough - I didn't consider this at the time. Do I wait a few more days and check the gravity again or chuck another US-05 in?
My plan was to dry hop tonight, and let it sit at 18°C until friday. Then cold crash for a few nights and keg on Sunday. Then let it sit at serving pressure until Saturday to carb. Best advice to get this down to ~1.017 and on tap carbed for 28/06/2014 (13 days from now)?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'm going to check the gravity again tonight and see if it's still going down. Will base my next moves on that.

The only way to make the yeast faster is to warm it up.

I'm no expert, but it probably wouldN'T affect the flavor this late in fermentation.

3 weeks for a high ABV beer? Good luck!

Not sure if adding more yeast this late will help unless your current lot is dead (unlikely). However nothing wrong with bumping the temp up to give it a nudge. Give it a gentle swirl and bump the temp up to 21.

Down to 1.026 tonight. Going to dry hop and bump it to 21 degrees to get this puppy done.

Still at 1.026. At 1.030 it tasted like a sweet, nutty porter and the sample I just tried now tastes roasted coffee.

I dry hopped with amarillo on monday, can't taste any of it in the sample.

I've abandoned the idea of having it ready for 28/06/2014. I'm interested to see how this turns out and what the FG will be if I give it time.

Leave at 21°C or put it back down to 18°C?

hathro said:
Still at 1.026. At 1.030 it tasted like a sweet, nutty porter and the sample I just tried now tastes roasted coffee.
Thats a good sign.

Mmm.....Porter....

Im actually drinking a 62 black ipa right now. 8 months old thus far.

Mine started at 1.076 and finished at 1.021 using 2 packs of yeast, if that helps you. Took 10 days to hit FG.

Back