Shiraz Porter recipe design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lafabrica

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Pretty new to the forums but have been all grain brewing for about a year now. I have a mate who has been making a small batch of wine for a project of his and i'm nabbing about 1/2 kilo of mt. langi pressed shiraz grapes and looking for a little help in developing a recipe to apply them in a Porter.

Thinking of using a small amount of juice and mainly skins in the boil for about 30mins.

Has anyone had any experience using these for a Porter and can give me some pointers on how I should approach the brew?

Many thanks,
Paul

This may be of no help at all....due to me never using fruit in a beer berfore, but...

Using mostly skins in the boil would give you mostly tannins, no?

I know only a little about wine making and only some about brewing, so I could be wrong.

EDIT: I remember drinking Pepperjacks shiraz infused beer which is lovely (not their regular ale which I haven't tried). Maybe drop them an email and see how they do it?

I would have thought the same, re: tannins, though that's also from very limited knowledge.

I'd maybe be inclined to add your mate's actual wine, or at very least grape pressings that would otherwise become wine. If you add actual wine you may want to use a yeast with high-ish alcohol tolerance.

Edit: I'd also consider whether the boil is the right time to add the grape juice. Maybe some time during fermentation?

Latest posts

Back