Shepherd's Delight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that RB for Roasted Barley, or Red Back?

I waaay over did the melanoidin malts in a quick Flanders Red, and I'm thinking Shepards Delight was a major contributor.

8.00 kg Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) 66.3 %
1.00 kg Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC) 8.3 %
0.88 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (49.3 EBC) 7.3 %
0.65 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) 5.4 %
0.64 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) 5.3 %
0.40 kg Special B (Dingemans) (290.6 EBC) 3.3 %
0.30 kg Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt (300.0 EBC) 2.5 %
0.20 kg Gladfield Dark Crystal Malt (190.0 EBC) 1.7 %

This was a bit of a 'use what's in the shed' beer and I didn't feel I had enough red malts so I added the Gladfields stuff. I got my red colour, but too much bread crust came with it. It's like eating the end piece of a well baked wholemeal loaf. I've used all the other malts before and wasn't expecting the amount of melanoidins that resulted. Not bad, but I feel like I'm missing a lot of subtleties, so I'd probably only use it in something that would support a high level of maltiness.

"so I'd probably only use it in something that would support a high level of maltiness"

What do you mean by this?

This is where I'm at at the moment:

Red Back Amber
American Amber Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.700
Total Hops (g): 60.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 15.7 (EBC): 30.9
Bitterness (IBU): 36.2 (Rager)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (63.83%)
1.000 kg Aurora (21.28%)
0.500 kg Red Back (10.64%)
0.200 kg Shepherd Delight (4.26%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Topaz Pellet (16.2% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Topaz Pellet (16.2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
20.0 g Ella Pellet (15% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)

It's powerful stuff! Am just drinking a IIPA where it was about 2% of the grain bill and the colour and flavour is distinctive. It's a great malt but needs a light hand.

Ah well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the grain bill above so we'll see how it goes at 4%..!

Let know how it goes, it should be interesting.

All I meant was that my Flanders Red wound up tasting like a soured bock, rather than a soured brown ale.
So I wouldn't be using this in a beer that I didn't want tasting in the bock spectrum.

Matplat said:
Ah well, I pulled the trigger and ordered the grain bill above so we'll see how it goes at 4%..!
It will definitely give you a sense of what it brings to the table. No doubt it will be a great beer.

i am doing an American Brown Ale this weekend coming and was going with something like:
87% Gladfield Ale
9% Chocolate
4% crystal light

or

87% Gladfield Ale
9% Chocolate
2% crystal light
2% shepards delight

mashed low with a decoction

too much choc?
will the SD be appropriate? - I don't think toffee was in the list of appropriate flavours for an American Brown

Shepherd's Delight is distinctive enough it's probably a malt to avoid if you're entering competitions, but so far amateur tasters have loved every beer I've made with it at 2--5% of grist.

So I put about 2-3% in a beer the other day, while munching on the grains, I tasted something that I really couldn't explain what it was like. Uhm sort of a rich melanoidany flavour, but something else.

Anyone else picking up anything else in the finish product?

Randai said:
So I put about 2-3% in a beer the other day, while munching on the grains, I tasted something that I really couldn't explain what it was like. Uhm sort of a rich melanoidany flavour, but something else.

Anyone else picking up anything else in the finish product?
At first a bit like cola and a tiny bit like licorice. In a dark lager with almost five percent that's been in cold-conditioning for over two months it's changed some, in a way I can't exactly describe.

Back