Separating out hops for replanting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker9

Reaction score
Hi All,

I got some hop rhizomes of several varieties. I planted pretty late, so no flowers yet. My main objective was just to get them into the ground, with the plan to replant for next season when I will have a bit more time.

I planted them in a pretty restricted area, in hindsight this may have been a mistake.

There are two rows - back row is all goldings, front is a mixture Cascade / Hallertauer / Target / Willamette.

Two questions:
1) Will I be able to tell them apart at the end of the season to separate them, and
2) When should I be digging them up and replanting (I live in Tasmania)?

Hops 22.01.17.JPG

Hops 08.02.17.JPG

Good luck - you may have quite the tangled mess underground. Best time to dig them up will be winter once the plants are dormant.

Leave about 15cm of all the bines above ground when you cut the bines back at the end of the season. Label them as to type. Let them go dry and the hop go dormant. Around June, scoop out as much earth as you can with your hands gently. Then use a garden spray nozzle and spray the earth away from the rhizomes. You'll be able to use the labelled stubs of the bines to track them back. It will be a tangled mess, but you can do it with minimal cutting. I've separated them out this way before. If you like puzzles, it helps ;)

Latest posts

Back