Secondary Temperature?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattemmo

Reaction score
I'm finally going to give racking a good crack. I've managed to keep the temp of a tricked up coopers dark ale at around 21 in Brisbane without a fridge. I know this is still probably a bit warm but it's better than the 27 I was averaging with my last kit. I now want to transfer into a secondary but am wondering exactly when I should do this and at what temp?

I vaguely recall reading I should rack straight after the airlock stops bubbling, or is it once I reach FG? And should it be slightly warmer in the secondary when using an ale yeast?

Thanks for the help
M.E.

G'day Matt,

This is another case of ask 2 brewers a question and get 3 different answers. Some say to rack when airlock activity ceases. Some say to rack before activity ceases. 21 should be fine for the Coopers Dark Ale. It's a fairly robust kit that will hide a lot of flaws with the dark malt. As to the temperature, I couldn't tell you as I don't rack.

Hey Matt,
are you going to keg or bottle being a dark ale it wont matter too much if you rack in a secondary.

Franko

are you going to keg or bottle being a dark ale it wont matter too much if you rack in a secondary.

hey Franko, I'm bottling this baby. So I take it that racking is more beneficial when brewing lighter beers - lagers, light ales etc as opposed to this dark ale?

cheers,
Matt

Latest posts

Back